About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Cody Reed Plays Devil's Advocate But Angels Rally







Shoddy defense spoiled an outstanding outing by Cody Reed in a 0-1 loss.

The Reds were clinging to a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the seventh.  Evan Mitchell was the ultimate victim.  Ryan Raburn hit a fourth inning solo home run off former Reds’ pitcher J.C. Ramirez.  It was Raburn’s team leading third home run of the spring.

Mitchell walked C.T. Cron  to open the seventh.  He got Luis Valbuena to bounce into an around the horn 5-4-3 double play.  By the time the Reds got the third out five runs scored.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Danny Espinosa singled. Mitchell walked Jefry Marte.  Ben Revere reached on a throwing error by secondbaseman Tony Renda.  Espinosa scored and Marte went to third.  Revere took off for second.  Catcher Tucker Barnhart threw to second.  Revere retreated to first but firstbaseman Chad Wallach dropped the throw as Marte scored.  Tony Sanchez walked.  Revere and Sanchez scored on Nolan Fontana’s double.  Kole Calhoun’s single scored pinch runner Matt Williams.

Alejandro Chacin relieved Mitchell and walked Cliff Pennington but got Cron to fly out.


Cody Reed had by far his best outing of the spring with 5 2/3 shutout innings, allowing just a single to Ben Revere.  He walked two and struck out five, including his last batter Kole Calhoun. Reed was relieved by Evan Mitchell with two outs and the bases empty, when he reached his pitch count limit.  Mitchell struck out Mike Trout but Reed wanted him.

“When Price walked out there, I think I threw too many pitches to get the second out, I said, you’re not going to let me get this guy out,” Reed said. “He said, no I want Mitchell to get it. I said awe. I wanted to get him (Trout) out. Who doesn’t want to?”

“He wanted to stay in but he reached his pitch count,” Bryan Price said. “We want to stair step his pitches.  He was outstanding today.”

One of the seven pitchers with a chance at three open spots in the starting rotation, Reed has allowed four runs in his last 12 1/3 innings for a 2.84 ERA.

“I had two walks that might have been the worst part of it. There were a lot of lefties in that lineup (four). I had a little bit of an advantage,” Reed said. “The hit I gave up was to the lefty. Overall I felt pretty good.”

The competition for the rotation is getting more intense by the day.

“I’m right there with them,” Reed said. “I’m going to go for it too. If I keep doing that, I’ll put myself in a good position.”

The Angels added on in the eighth and ninth against Tony Cingrani, who gave up his first runs in Cactus League play with three in the eighth. He had five scoreless Cactus League appearances.

Eric Young Jr. capped the scoring in the ninth with a home run off Louis Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment