About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, May 6, 2016

Tim Adleman Serves Up Quality Start With Potato Salad In First Win Bullpen Snaps Ugly Streak




Tim Adleman, who was working in a deli before he signed with the Reds, earned his first career win with five strong innings and the bullpen snapped and ugly streak in the Reds' 5-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers

Joey Votto hit his fourth home run of the season in the first inning off Brewers' starter Tyler Cravy.

Adleman pitched out of a bases loaded jam in the second inning. He was rewarded with another run on the bottom of the frame.

"A lot of things are going right. You have a starter that shuts them down on one run for five innings, closing it with the bullpen and getting off to an early lead," Bryan Price said.  "We've had some stretches where we haven't scored a lot.  The bullpen struggles and the starting pitchers that no one thought was going to be here. The guys that are here are doing a nice job."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Jay Bruce beat out an infield single.  Adam Duvall doubled to the gap in left center, allowing Bruce to score from firstbase.  Tucker Barnhart singled to right but Duvall was cut down at the plate on a strong throw from Alex Pressley.

The Reds' lead escalated to 5-0 when Brandon Phillips unloaded his fourth home run with Zack Cozart and Joey Votto on base against Cravy in the third.

Cravy was starting in place of Wily Peralta, who is on three-day paternity leave.

Alex Pressley homered in the fifth to break Adleman's shut out. It was his third of the season.

Adleman left after five innings with his second quality start but left the record setting bullpen with four innings to cover.  The Reds' relievers have given up at least one run in 23 straight games.

"I wasn't as sharp this time. I didn't hit my spots at times but I was able to make some pitches in spots where if I didn't, I would have given up some runs," Adleman said.  "I think just taking a lot of deep breaths and if people see you become unnerved it works against you."

Adleman will take some souvenirs but hasn't been told what they are yet.

"I tried to stay in the moment. More important it was a team win," Adleman said.

Caleb Cotham pitched two scoreless innings.

Blake Wood allowed singles to Chris Carter and Aaron Hill in the eighth.  Tony Cingrani entered the game with one out.  Pinch hitter Jonathan Lucroy walked to load the bases but Cingrani escaped when pinch hitter Hernan Perez flied out harmlessly to left.

Cingrani started the ninth.  He gave up a leadoff single to Jonathan Villar but picked him off first. Cingrani finished with his first career save.

"Once we were up by four and it was a four out save, I knew it was a save," said Cingrani of his first ever save.  "We mentioned the streak in the bullpen but it wasn't like we said, 'Oh no its been 23 games we have to end it,'  Whatever, it happens.  We played the best teams in baseball.  I really didn't have my good stuff. I didn't know where the ball was going. I was just throwing with conviction.'

Cingrani's pickoff was a key after Villar's single.

"It's a nice weapon to have. I didn't have to throw as many pitches and if Braun hit a home run it was one less run," Cingrani said.





No comments:

Post a Comment