About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Fatherhood Agrees With Jay Bruce




Carter John Bruce
Jay Bruce spends his afternoons changing the diapers of his baby boy Carter John Bruce with pleasure.

"Its like being handed the keys to a club you didn't know existed," said the 29-year old Beaumont, Texas native of the first child for him and his wife Hannah.


Bruce left the Reds on Monday April 25 for Houston where young Carter was born at 9:00 p.m. that night.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Bruce, the Reds right-fielder has dealt with his wife's pregnancy all spring as well as the real possibility that he could be traded to a new city.  Bruce and Hannah arrived in Goodyear, Arizona in February amid rumors the Reds had dealt him to the Toronto Blue Jays.  The reports that turned out to be inaccurate were all over the news and the young family didn't know where they would be living if the reports had been true.

Bruce dealt with the reports with the utmost professionalism and the false news faded like a helium balloon freed in a stiff breeze.

Two months later Bruce found his professional routine altered with the new baby, who is now well and a Cincinnati resident.

"I have always been able to compartmentalize my private life and my professional life," Bruce said. "I have altered my allocation of time a little bit but that's all."

Whatever has happened Bruce is excelling again on the field after two very tough years.

'If I had played better, I probably wouldn't be a Red right now," Bruce said in February.

Maybe it is coincidence or maybe it is the weight of anticipation lifted from his shoulders now that Carter has arrived happy and healthy.  Since Bruce returned from paternity leave on April 29, he is hitting .317 with four home runs and 12 RBI.  He has passed former teammate and lifelong friend Adam Dunn for the most home runs at Great American Ball Park with 128.


Bruce has improved his season average to .290 with eight home runs and 27 RBI.  He is fourth in the National League with a .435 batting average with runners in scoring position..




No comments:

Post a Comment