About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Eugenio Saurez Happy With Transition To Thirdbase




Eugenio Suarez came to Cincinnati in a trade for Alfredo Simon.  The Reds' were short of middle infielders at the end of the 2014 season so the team traded Simon for Suarez, who logged 81 games with the Detroit Tigers at shortstop.

The Reds already had a potential Gold Glove shortstop in Zack Cozart but wanted Suarez to back him up at Triple A Louisville.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Cozart tore ligaments in his knee in June and Saurez took over shortstop for the last 96 games of the season.

The middle infielder gave no indication that he could hit for power.  Suarez hit 10 home runs in a full season but hit 13 in half a season with the Reds last season.

When Todd Frazier was traded over the winter and Saurez was asked to fill the void at third.  Saurez played one game at thirdbase for the Tigers after coming into the game as a pinch runner in the 11th. He played part of one game at third as a mid-game replacement.

"It is a good move for me," said Saurez, who took advantage of the move to be an every day player.  "I feel so right. I feel comfortable. I feel confident.  I had to change a little bit but I'm o.k. I enjoy every day."

The fact that he is playing every day in the big leagues is his biggest adjustment.

"They want me to play every day and I'm doing my job," Saurez said.  "If you can play shortstop, you can play any where. I had never played thirdbase before now I feel natural at thirdbase."

Suarez is off to a fast start at the plate.

The 24-year old has four hits in 12 at-bats with two home runs, including a grand slam against the Phillies on Thursday.

"My hard work reflects in the game," Saurez said.

No comments:

Post a Comment