About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips And Marlon Byrd Hit Homers To Support Johnny Cueto




The Reds supported the efforts of Johnny Cueto with three home runs in a 4-2 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.

Joey Votto hit his seventh home run to snap an 0-for-15 decline.  Brandon Phillips followed a Jay Bruce single with his first home run of the season and Marlon Byrd hit his second of the year right behind Phillips.

All three came off Kyle Lohse, the former Red who has been the Brewers' best pitcher the last two seasons.

Cueto retired 12 of the first 13 hitters he faced but he grazed Aramis Ramirez to allow hut one baserunner through four innings.

Phillips didn't get his first extra base hit until Monday night. He followed with his first home run of the season to help the Reds put distance between themselves and the Brewers.

"I don't worry about stuff like that," Phillips said. "I just try to hit the ball somewhere and find a hole. I've been hitting the ball hard but right a people. It just feels good to be healthy. When I hurt my thumb, they told me it would take some of my power away."

Order Amazon at right


"Cueto was just impeccable," Bryan Price said. "The one run lead played a huge role. Johnny is one of the best pitching with a in those types of games."

Cueto won his first start of the season on a 5-2 decision over Pittsburgh. He pitched well enough to win his next start, allowing one earned run in seven innings. In the last three games prior to Tuesday night, the Reds scored just four runs with Cueto on the mound.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Ramirez exacted revenge for being hit by the pitch by launching a 430 ft shot into the second deck to lead off the fifth.  Ramirez has six career home runs off Cueto, the most by any batter.  He came into the game with a .354 average against the Reds' ace.

"I always want to trick him," Cueto said. "He is a good veteran."

Ryan Braun homered to lead off the seventh to cut the lead in half.

Cueto finished eight innings, allowing just three hits and striking out six.


"I hung a couple pitches but I felt really confident," Cueto said. "You have to have confidence every time you go to the mound."

Aroldis Chapman earned his fifth save in as many tries.

Cueto got an extra day of rest due to the rain out on Saturday. It came after he threw 125 pitches against Milwaukee in his last start.  He only needed 85 pitches this time.

"I think God gave me an extra day," Cueto said. "I felt really good. I could have gone out for the ninth but it is the manager's decision. I accept that."

No comments:

Post a Comment