About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Latos Expects To Pitch Wednesday Opening Day Still In Question




Mat Latos took the next step to pitching in a Cactus League game by facing batter's in live batting practice.

Latos threw 25 pitches to Brayan Pena and Chris Nelson.

Latos was unhappy that two pitches were in the dirt but overall was pleased after the session.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"Everything was good. I was a little anxious, a little nervous,, a little rusty.  I have to make a couple adjustments here and there," Latos said.  "I was a little amped up.  I probably shouldn't have had that Red Bull first."

When asked about opening day, Latos didn't want to say.

"I have no clue when I'm going to be back," Latos said. "Bryan Price was optimistic? That makes one of us."

Price did tell reporters before the session that he was optimistic about Latos starting the season as the fifth starter, who wouldn't be needed until April 6 in New York, giving Latos an extra week.

"Not that we have finalized any decisions, but we do know for sure, Mat barring setbacks will throw in a game early this week," Price said.  "I'm still optimistic that Mat could be the fifth starter
for timing reasons."

"Broxton and Marshall probably won't but we don't want to put the kabosh on Broxton.  We want them not only healthy but able to do the things we ask them to do.  If it's Mat its throwing 90 to 100 pitches.  If its Broxton and Marshall it is going back-to-back days.  Marshall is a little farther away," Price said.

No comments:

Post a Comment