About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Aroldis Chapman's Parents Will Watch All-Star Game in Person






Aroldis Chapman defected to the United States from Cuba in July 2009.

It took 3-1/2 years to get his parents out of Cuba.  Chapman hopes the rest of his family can join him too.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

Chapman was selected to play in the All-Star game on July 16.  His parents, who are of Jamaican decent, joined the left-hander, who signed a $30 million contract with the Reds, in January.

"This means a lot since it is my third year and my second all-star game.
It will feel good my parents are going to be there watching the game," Chapman said through interpreter Tomas Vera. "They came over in January and were with me in spring training.  I means a lot when you're chosen by the players."

"The rest of the family will be here soon, I hope."

"A lot of people follow the game in Cuba.  Last year someone gave my parents a video of the game."

Chapman will join Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto on the National League squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment