About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 1, 2013

The Reds Sign Mark Prior To a Minor League Contract

Mark Prior isn't ready to give up his baseball dream.

The 32-year old, right-handed pitcher signed a minor league contract with the Cincinnati Reds and arrived in Goodyear, Arizona to attempt a comeback for the fourth straight spring after passing a physical.

Dusty Baker was accused of ruining Prior's career, yet Prior never blamed Baker.

 In fact the friendship the two men developed led Prior to this new opportunity.

"He called me in the winter. We talk sometimes. He sends my wife updates on the kids," Baker said. "He never asked me for anything.  He said,'Hey man, I'd like to try it one more time.' I told him, 'If I can help you, I'll make the opportunity.' I called Walt."

Prior was the second pick in the June 2001 draft out of the University of Southern California by the Chicago Cubs.  At 21 years old he pitched only nine minor league games. He pitched six games at Double-A and three at Triple-A before the Cubs brought him to the big leagues.

Prior made his debut on May 22 against the Pittsburgh Pirates, pitching six innings and earning the first of his 42 Major League wins.

Baker arrived in Chicago the next season.

Under Baker, Prior thrived on the mound. He won 18 games in 2003. He was 6-4 in 2004 and 11-7 in 2005.

In Baker's last season with the Cubs in 2006, Prior reported to spring training with a sore shoulder and sat in Baker's office.

"It was one of the sickest days I've had," Baker said.  "I was kind of told, which I will never do again, to cover it up, or say he had another injury. It just postponed the criticism and ridicule. I said that I was ready to take it. Sometimes you get a mandate to do things a different way. I didn't like that."

Baker warned Prior that if he signed it would open up old wounds. The two would be reminded of those hurtfull days. Prior would be reminded of the pain of losing a career.  Baker would have to deal again with the criticism that many had of his handling of the pitching staff.

"My wounds are keloid," Baker said. "There is scars on top of scars. It doesn't matter to me. It only matters what they (players) think. It is like Kerry Wood. He had 'Tommy John' and pitched six, seven years after I had him. There isn't a manager around that doesn't have someone that was seriously hurt. The longer you're around the more chance you have to someone that was really hurt."

Baker just thought Prior deserved an opportunity.  He admired the hard work that Prior has put into a comeback.

The last game Prior pitched in the Major Leagues was on August 10 against Milwaukee. Prior lasted just three innings and gave up six runs.  He spent the next three years out of baseball.

In 2010 Prior pitched for Orange County in the independent Golden Baseball League.  The Texas Rangers signed him and he appeared in one game at Oklahoma City. He pitched in 11 games in the New York Yankees' organization in 2011.  The Red Sox gave him another chance last season. He pitched in 19 games at Triple-A Pawtucket, winning one game and pitching 25 innings with a 3.96 ERA.

Baker doesn't expect Prior to earn a spot in the Reds' starting rotation.

"I've been keeping up with him the whole time," Baker said. "He doesn't have the same velocity but he has the savvy. He's probably a reliever now versus a starter."

Mat Latos, who had a good first season with the Reds at 14-4, can relate to Prior's relationship.

"He's a good manager," Latos said. "He's a player's manager. He likes to know what goes on with his players. He wants to be in on the mix. He doesn't just want to hear things from the training staff, or hear it from the front office or the coaching staff. He is straight forward and will come up to you and ask what's going on."





Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment