About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reds Lose to Padres Former Reds Shine

The Reds dropped its fourth game of the spring to the San Diego Padres, 7-5.

Homer Bailey started and threw just 15 pitches in his first and only inning of the spring.

"We have an extra week in spring," Bailey said. "They don't want us to go two weeks without throwing in a game but we are slowly getting back in it.  It is a nice way to get into it.  I'm just trying to get a feel for it again.  I don't have that feel but I'm close."

Bailey issued a four pitch walk to Chase Headley but otherwise was smooth.

"I threw all fastballs but started Headley off with a split and got behind.  We wouldn't ordinarily do that but we wanted to throw one,"  Bailey said.

Chris Heisey started in rightfield and tripled off Jose De Paula.

"Heisey is making progress," Dusty Baker said.  "He's rounding out his game.  I think he'll hit for more power this year.  I see a difference from him in his approach.  He is using just one stance now.  Heisey is a valuable piece of our team.  There aren't many who can run and play all the outfield positions.  It is just that I see him as a better corner outfielder."

Big Donald Lutz started in leftfield.  The 6'3", 250 lb. prospect, who was born in Watertown, NY but lives in Friedberg, Germany, didn't play baseball until he was 16.

Lutz singled in two at bats and is 2-for-5 early this spring.

"I like big Lutz.  He's a very talented young man," Baker said. "He is very raw.  He hasn't played as much baseball as the other guys but he's getting refined in a hurry.  He's coming fast.  He is working hard in the outfield.  We are teaching him how to throw correctly."

Lutz was excited last season when his minor leaguers beat the big team in an exhibition at Great American Ball Park prior to opening day.

"I told him I'm glad you're happy but don't be clowning on us," Baker said.  "He told me he wasn't.  That he was happy they won.  He likes to compete.  He is a very bright young man too."

In addition to Bailey, Tony Cingrani, Carlos Contreras, Chad Reineke, Kanekoa Texeira and Wilken De La Rosa threw the ball well.

"The only one that got roughed up was (Pedro) Villarreal," Baker said.  "He was getting the ball up."

The Padres put six runs on the board off Villarreal.

Former Reds had hands all over the carnage.

Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal singled for the Padres.  Chris Denorfia walked in the inning.

Brad Boxberger, who the Reds packaged with Alonso, Grandal and Edinson Volquez to obtain Mat Latos, retired the four batters he faced.

De La Rosa gave up a home run to Jedd Gyorko, who hit his third already this spring.

De La Rosa, a converted outfielder.  He is left-handed.  The 28-year old Dominican native has a live arm but is still learning to command the strike zone.







No comments:

Post a Comment