About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier Out With Minor Injuries

Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier are out with very minor aches and pains.

Jay Bruce has a sore right heel.  Frazier has a tight calf.

"Bruce said he could play tomorrow but he's not going to," Dusty Baker said.  Baker has a policy that when a players tells him he is ready, he gives a player, an extra day off.  "It's that plus we only have 33 games left.

Spring training is an extra week longer because of the World Baseball Classic.

"Frazier is feeling better.  He took batting practice today," Baker said.

There was a discussion about the high sky in Arizona.  The intense sun with no clouds in the sky makes it difficult to track fly balls.

Young Yorman Rodriguez was hit in the chest by a fly ball in the game against Milwaukee on Monday.  He caught the next one.

"Rodriguez stayed in there," Baker said.  "Most guys don't stay in there after being hit in the chest the first time.  I just told him to keep the sun between the bill of his cap and the glove and use the glove.  We used to use flip-down sunglasses.  Players don't use them any more."

Baker recalled losing a ball in the sun with flip-down sunglasses firmly placed in his back pocket.

"I remember in spring training, I lost a ball.  In Ft. Lauderdale against the Yankees.  It was a cloudy sky but all of a sudden the clouds broke at that moment. I stayed and stayed and stayed.  The ball hit me in the chest.  Ed Mathews asked me where my sunglasses were.  I said back here (my pocket).  He told me to put the sunglasses on my butt. The next day during batting practice he had us doing sunglasses flip down practice.  Everybody on the team was mad at me."

"I wish theywould use flip-downs," Baker said.  "I asked somebody the other day. I said, 'hey man we need some flip-downs'. He said 'they don't carry them anymore.'"


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment