About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Brandon Phillips Will Represent the USA in the World Baseball Classic

Brandon Phillips wanted to wear the USA across his chest.  He will get the chance.

Manager Joe Torre and general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. have selected Reds' secondbaseman for the roster of the USA team in the World Baseball Classic.

"This is the number one honor, I've had in baseball," Phillips said.  "I will be playing for my country.  I started a little bit earlier this year.  I've been working my butt off real hard."

The roster will include 28 players, including 13 position players and 15 pitchers.

Phillips will join, firstbaseman Mark Texeira, shortstop Jimmy Rollins, thirdbaseman David Wright, catcher Joe Mauer, leftfielder Ryan Braun, centerfielder Adam Jones and rightfielder Giancarlo Stanton as the projected starting eight.

The players will begin spring training with their teams but will assemble as a unit on March 1 at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick in Scottsdale.  The team will open the WBC with Mexico at Phoenix's Chase Field on March 8.

Reigning Cy Young winner RA Dickey will be one of the starting pitchers.  Ryan Vogelsong, Chris Medlen, and Derek Holland will join him.  The fifth spot is being held open for Justin Verlander, who will decide whether he can join the team once he starts throwing at the Tigers' Lakeland complex.

"These are guys I've played against during the season," Phillips said.  "It will be different.  It is like an all-star game but with a different feeling.  We will be representing our country in front of the whole world."








No comments:

Post a Comment