About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Jerry Lynch Former Reds Pinch Hitter Died

An unsung hero of the 1961 Reds died Saturday.

Lynch was an outfielder for the Reds with Wally Post, Vada Pinson, Frank Robinson and Gus Bell.

Lynch the Reds pennant winning season, he drove in 25 runs as a pinch hitter. Lynch was a lefthanded batter and broke in with the Pirates in 1954.

He played for the Reds from 1957 until May 1963 when the Reds traded him back to Pittsburgh for Bob Skinner.

His best year overall was with the 1961 team. He hit .315 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI.

He is a member of the Reds Hall of Fame. His record of 21 career pinch hit home runs lasted for 21 years. He was 81.

No comments:

Post a Comment