About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Miguel Cairo's Challenge to Teammates is Fine with Dusty Baker

Miguel Cairo spoke out after Thursday's loss by calling out his teammates to play better.

"You got to put it behind.  Tomorrow is another day.  We have San Francisco the next three days, we got to put it behind.  We got to start playing the way we know how to play.  You know, we stink.  Right now as a team we stink.  We don't do the little things to win games.  It's not like everything is going wrong.  You have to make it happen.  You don't go out there in the field and go, 'oh everything is going to go wrong'.  The attitude we have to have is tomorrow's another day and the attitude we have to have is to expect to win.  Right now I don't think we have that attitude.  I don't like to lose.  No one likes to lose.  We have to change our attitude.  San Francisco is coming in here and they are going to try to kick out butt.  We have to do something about it.  We have to take our tail out of our butt.  Everyone has to put a little more effort than what we've been doing,"  Cairo said.

Baker supported his veteran utility man.

"That's why we got Miguel, Rolen and Renteria," Baker said.  "Sometimes it's better coming from a teammate.  I don't put a muzzle on anyone."

Baker was the type of player to speak out during his playing days.

"When I was a player, I'd be the one to say it to them," Baker said.  "A bunch of years ago, we'd say those things and no one would know.  We'd say them and writers wouldn't write it.  Now it's straight up headlines by the time you get home."

    

No comments:

Post a Comment