About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gomes Goes Alonso Rises

The Reds traded struggling outfielder, Jonny Gomes, to the Washington Nationals for a minor league pitcher and outfielder.


It was a couple seasons ago that the Reds gave Gomes a new start after Gomes was victimized by a numbers game in Tampa Bay. Reds fans urged Gomes to play everyday as Dusty Baker matched him up against pitchers that he could hit.  Baker platooned Gomes with Laynce Nix.  Nix is playing in Washington after the Reds decided not to resign him.
\
The Reds get left-handed pitcher Chris Manno and outfield Bill Rhinehart. The Reds also are picking up some of Gomes’ salary.
Manno, 22, went 1-3 with a 1.04 ERA and had 12 saves in 13 tries at Class A Hagerstown (43 innings, 20 hits, 15 walks, 69 strikeouts, one homer, .135 opponents’ batting average. He was a 26th round pick out of Duke University by the Nationals last June.
Rhinehart, 26, was hitting .283 at Class AA Harrisburg in 89 games, with 21 homers and 59 RBI. He was an 11th round pick by the Nationals in 2007. He was a minor-league All-Star in 2007 and 2008.


"We actually had a couple of clubs that had inquired about Jonny," Walt Jocketty said. "Washington was probably the most persistent. For us, it's a tough move to make in some ways because Jonny was a big part of our club last year, a guy that obviously we all think highly of as a person and a player. It gives us an opportunity to bring Alonso up and start looking at a couple of guys that could get an opportunity. It was a hard move to make in some ways because Jonny was a big part of our club last year, a guy that obviously we all think highly of as a person and a player."


Gomes was surprised and wanted to stay in Cincinnati.


"I'm bitter about leaving because I love these guys, love where this team's at, love where they're about to go. But as we see now, it's a business. By the other token, a team reached out and wanted my services," Gomes said.

"The fans have been great to me here," Gomes said. "Hopefully I made some fans here for a long time. I'll definitely be back, but on the other side. I'm a 6-year free agent after this year. I'm not burning any bridges. We'll see."


"I was a little bit, it did. But you know, this is a result-driven industry, if you will. When the results aren't there, it might be time to move. Just the (batting) average, that really killed me. you look at everything else, is kind of there. It would have been nice to have opportunity to turn that around. This is an opportunity for Chris Heisey to take off and show what he's made of."



Gomes showed gratitude to the Reds for giving him a chance at fresh start to his career.


"In 2008, the end of that season, individually I was kind of left in the weeds and Walt Jocketty and Dusty Baker gave me the opportunity," Gomes said. "I came over here and started out in Louisville, came up through the minor league system and had a great run."


Cincinnati recalled Yonder Alonso from Louisville.  Alonso was hitting .296 with 13 home runs and 56 RBI.

Alonso the Reds first pick in the 2008 draft.  He will give the Reds another lefthanded hitter off the bench that can hit with power.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment