About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

UC and Princeton High School Grad Josh Harrison Makes ML Debut

Josh Harrison
Josh Harrison, who played baseball at Princeton High School and the University of Cincinnati made his major league debut in New York for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Harrison said his parents had to return home Tuesday after coming to New York the day before for his first game. His cellphone inbox has been inundated with text messages from friends and family congratulating him and wishing him luck.


"I'm excited to be able to play," Harrison told MLB.com. "I'm always ready to play, and the fact that I'm up there, I'm just going to stay within myself and try to get on base for the guys behind me.

Harrison was hitting .321 at Indianapolis when the Pirates brought him up when Steve Pearce and Ryan Doumit were placed on the disabled list.

Playing thirdbase for the Pirates, Harrison had two hits and an RBI single that tied the game and helped the Pirates to a 5-1 win.

Harrison was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the sixth round in 2008.  He was traded in a deal that sent Tom Gorzelany and John Grabow to the Cubs in 2009.

His brother Vince played professionally in the Tampa Bay, Florida and New York Mets farm system and is currently playing for York, PA in the independent Atlantic League.  Their uncle John Shelby played in the major leagues for 12 seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment