About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 24, 2011

The Reds Visit Baltimore for the First Time Since the 1970 World Series

The Reds last trip to Baltimore was bitter sweet.  It was sweet because they played in a World Series for the first time since 1961 (check out Mark Schmetzer's book Before the Machine).  It was bitter because the Orioles led by Frank Robinson, who Bill DeWitt traded for being an "old 30" batted the Reds and teammate Brooks Robinson turned doubles into outs at thirdbase.

The Orioles took the Reds in five games.  The Reds last win in the City of Baltimore was on October 14, 1970.

I recall listening to an inning of that game during the school day at Colerain High School.  My advisor, Harold Gibson, called me into his office to discuss my academic schedule for the next semester.  I had my ducks in a row and told Mr. Gibson what I wanted to take.  He took about two minutes to approve it.  He leaned back in his chair and said, "Schatz, I had 15 minutes scheduled for you.  We are done in two.  Let's turn on the ballgame for the rest of the time." 

In the series Brooks Robinson  made several "web gem plays" before there was a web gem.  ESPN was nine years away.  He also hit .429 with two home runs and six RBI.  Frank Robinson, traded to Baltimore by the Reds before the 1966 season hit two home runs against his former teammates.

Another highlight of the series for Baltimore, pitcher Dave McNally hit a grand slam home run off Cincinnati reliever, Wayne Granger.

No comments:

Post a Comment