About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Travis Wood Stifles Brewers in 4-2 Win

Travis Wood out pitched his workout partner.

Wood pitched well for seven innings, allowing a home run to Erik Almonte, who went eight years between home runs.  Wood allowed four hits and no walks   He struck out seven.

Wood works out with fellow Arkansas native Cliff Lee.  Lee an established ace pitched seven innings against the Houston Astros but allowed three runs.

"It is nice to work the strike zone and have your good cammand no matter when it is," Wood said.

No one hit the ball out of the infield for Milwaukee, as Scott Rolen hit a two-run home run in the first inning. Drew Stubbs drove in a run with a triple and scored when Rickie Weeks throw to first was in the dirt on a Joey Votto ground out.

"I realize that once the ball leaves my hand, I have no control. of it, whether its a strike or whether its hit.  Just give me the ball back."

The win gave the Reds two straight against the team that many people expect to challenge the Reds for the National League Central crown.

"We'll take every win we can get right now." Dusty Baker said.  "I's great to start off 2-0 against a team that everybody expects to be right there.  Every game Wood goes out there it seems like he has a chance to pitch a shutout.  He throws strikes. He's competitive and he throws quality strikes."

No comments:

Post a Comment