About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reds Complete Season Opening Sweep With a 12-3 Win Over Milwaukee

Starting the 2005 season with Joe Randa's walk off opening day home run against the New York Mets, Cincinnati won the first three games to start the season.

Bronson Arroyo shaking of mono, pitched seven strong innings.  Rickie Weeks again led off the game with home run.  But Jonny Gomes matched it against Milwaukee starter Randy Wolf.

Arroyo allowed three runs on six hits, including Ryan Braun's second home run of the season.  Back-to-back doubles by Wolf and Weeks scored the Brewers other run.

"I'm getting stronger," Arroyo said.  "I came into spring training about eight pounds less than I was at the end of last season.  I was just starting to put weight back on when I got sick.  I didn't have my best stuff.  What hits they did get, they hit hard.  There will be 10 times during the season where you feel like this."

"Bronson comes to pitch," Baker said.  "He likes to compete.  He's still coughing out in the tunnel and nobody is sitting next to him.  He knows how to pace himself and knows his body."

Cincinnati put together two four-run innings.  Brandon Phillips capped on with a three-run homer.  Ryan Hanigan, who has caught the last two games despite his counterpart's success on opening day, hit two home runs.  The second was a three-run shot in the other four-run frame in the sixth.

"We rode that high that Moanie (Ramon Hernandez) started," Hanigan said.  "We kept pressing.  That team (Milwaukee) can come back.  I've worked on hitting a lot.  I work with Jac (hitting coach Brook Jacoby).  I want to be a dangerous guy.  I want to get some big hits and drive the ball as well."

The Reds turn the lead over to Logan Ondrusek, who got credit for the opening day win.  Ondrusek struck out the first batter but the pitch got away from Hanigan.  Ondrusek struck out Braun and Prince Fielder and had a chance for a rare four-strikeout inning but Mark Kotsay flied out to left.

Aroldis Chapman made his first appearance with a perfect inning.  He struck out one and reached 103 on the radar gun.

"It was a great weekend Moanie got us started and we went from there," Baker said.  "We have a pretty good catching tandem.  They like each other.  There's no jealousy.  We can keep them both strong."

The clubhouse wasn't celebrating but taking the sweep in stride.

Arroyo was asked how big it was to sweep the team many picked to win the division.

"Not too much," Arroyo said.  "How many times have you seen a team sweep another then get swept at their place.  It is a long season."

No comments:

Post a Comment