About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Edgar Renteria at 2B

Edgar Renteria, a world champion shortstop, will be starting and playing secondbase today against the Chicago Cubs.

"I want to prepare Renteria now," Dusty Baker said.  "With Brandon at secondbase, he doesn't figure to play much but what if Brandon gets hurt?  He is going to play some shortstop too."

The Reds have Paul Janish penciled in at shortstop.  It is his job to lose.

"We have a guy behind him (Zack) Cozart is looking pretty good too," Baker said.

Baker does not plan to use Renteria at thirdbase though.  "We have (Juan) Francisco, (Chris) Valaika, (Todd) Frazier and (Miguel) Cairo there for backup.  I talked to Edgar.  He doesn't feel comfortable at third. It is a lot closer (to the plate).  As you get older your reaction time is less, especially if you have never played there.  Cairo has played there a lot."

Renteria was the World Series MVP with San Francisco last season but found himself without a job until the Reds signed him.  He had a six-year working relationship with general manager, Walt Jockety, from their days in St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment