About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Xavier Holds On To Beat Dayton 63-59

Amber Harris missed the front end of a one-and-one free throw opportunity with Xavier clinging to a 61-59 lead with 10 seconds left.

Luckily for the Musketeers, Meaghan Askew, dove on the floor to come up with the offensive rebound.

Two seconds later Harris hit both free throws to ground the Flyers and get a hard fought win for the Lady Musketeers in the first conference game for both teams.

"I was upset that I missed the first free throw, but Meaghan yeah, she saved me,"  Harris said.  "I've had an off year with free throws but I know I can knock them down.  I got the second chance."

The Flyers put a scare into the nation's ninth ranked women's basketball squad but turnovers spoiled the Flyers bid for an upset.

Harris, who led all scorers with 23 points, hit a jumper with 4:11 left to give Xavier a seven point lead. Justine Raterman, hit a three to keep Dayton in the game.  Harris hit another jumper to answer but Dayton's Samantha Mackay scored on consecutive possessions and cut the lead to two.

It was the second run that Dayton used to threaten the Musketeers.  They overcame an 11 point deficit also in the last 10 minutes.

"They had a couple runs, where we turned it over and they took advantage," Dayton coach Jim Jabir said.  "They are a great defensive team but we kind of did it to ourselves.  Then Amber hits a couple shots and they took advantage."

Harris took over as one of the top three players in NCAA Women's basketball is expected to do.

Raterman had 12 points for the Flyers, as did Mackay.  Kari Daugherty, the younger sister of teammate, Kristen Daugherty, led the Flyers with 19 points.

Ta'Shia Phillips contributed 14 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.  Harris also had 11 rebounds.

"When you play the number nine team in the nation, you're going to struggle during the game.  They are going to take advantage of it," Jabir said.  "You need to play a near perfect game to beat them.  I'm not going to walk out of here with my head down.  I thought we played very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment