About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cueto Holds Reds Fate

Johnny Cueto is 24 years old.  The fate of the 141-year old Cincinnati franchise is riding on his powerful right arm.


"Well, Johnny Cueto has been excellent at home here. And if not, it's kinda "Johnny Whole Staff" tomorrow and the next day," Dusty Baker said.  "We can't afford to get behind. We need to get ahead. I have confidence in Johnny Cueto. If not, he would not be starting. He's a young man that's hungry. He's a young man that's been through a lot in his short lifetime, so we got a lot of confidence in Johnny Cueto."

Cueto through interpreter Thomas Vera said, "I am going to through my game."

"Pitching in the playoffs is the same just more noise and more people in the stands.  It's the same game.  My arm feels strong.  I just have to concentrate and keep the ball down."

Cueto last pitched the day after the Reds clinched the division on September 29, 10 days ago.

This season against Philadelphia, he is 1-0 with a win on June 28.  He pitched eight innings and allowed one run on six hits.  He also pitched six innings in Philadelphia allowing one earned run in seven innings on four hits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment