About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It Is NOT Your Normal Game

The Reds played the entire year taking one game at a time.  Even during big series against St. Louis, Dusty Baker stressed treating them like any other game.  The strategy got them to this point.  Now the Reds can no longer maintain the facade.

"You try to pretend its like any other day," Baker said.  "But its not.  There is a lot of pretending in this game.  You strive to get to this point all year long.  Then you run the race and you're one step from the finish line."

A win tonight against Houston and the Reds clinch the National League Central Division and its playoff berth.

The Reds could have clinched on its day off yesterday had Houston lost.

"This may sound crazy because of what I said earlier but I was rooting for St. Louis to win last night," Brandon Phillips said.

The Reds want to celebrate in front of its home fans.

"You want to do it at home," Baker said.

Not that they wouldn't have liked to clinch on the road but it would be sweeter to celebrate at home with its fans.

"I think of my dad," Baker said.  His father Johnny B. Baker Sr. died this winter.

"He was my coach.  He was Bobby  Bonds coach.  This was the time he'd come to see every game."

Baker was asked if he gave advice.

"He was subtle," Baker said.

Then he told about his discipline.

"Your mom gives love and understanding.  Your dad gives you discipline and direction.  Some people called it  discipline.  I called it 'the belt' "

No comments:

Post a Comment