About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dr. Scald Prescribes Rest and Bruce Responds.

Jay Bruce would never ask for a day off. He expects to play every day.

 Yet, Dusty Baker, who was knicknamed Dr. Scald by his old teammate Rick Monday, gave his struggling young star Monday off.

"It's crazy. I got antsy but mentally I feel it was good," Bruce said.

Baker saw the signs, the lack of focus, the impatience of the 22-year old slugger.


"It was a day off at the ballpark," Baker said. "He got to see the other guys hit. A day off away from the park, you get your rest but being around the other guys without the pressure helps. As long as the guy that replaces you does the job, its a good day off."


Bruce was recalled from Louisville a year ago today. He celebrated the anniversary with his 13th and 14th home runs and a triple, driving in four runs. His average rose to .241.

"I appreciate the day off," Bruce said. "We can go on the road with momentum. I'm excited about this team."

By Jerry Dowling


No comments:

Post a Comment