About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Arroyo Mows Down the Astros in Record Time

Bronson Arroyo pitched like he had a guitar playing gig after the game.

He used just 92 pitches to throw a complete game in just 2 hours and eight minutes.

The Reds beat the Astros 6-1. The only batter he walked was the game's leadoff hitter, Michael Bourn. Bourn stole second base, advanced to third when Miguel Tejada ground out. He scored on a foul ball out down the leftfield line by Red killer Lance Berkman.

He scattered four singles and a double the rest of the way.

"I think I completed a game in under 100 pitches one other time," Arroyo said. "I was getting a lot of ground balls with my sinker. They were swinging a lot early in the count which helped out."

Arroyo found a way to get two guys out that have haunted him in the past, Berkman and Carlos Lee.

Berkman was 0-for-3 and Lee 0-for-4. Berkman started the game with a .317 average and five home runs in 41 at bats against Arroyo. Lee started the contest with a .355 average against the fair haired, hurler.

"I pitched them a little differently. It's a chess match with them. Tonight it worked out pretty well," Arroyo said.

Arroyo improved to 7-3 on the season and has won three of his last four starts. He has a decision in each of his 10 starts which is a modern marvel, and a rare occurence in major league baseball these days.

"That's really weird," Arroyo said.

The quick game gave Dusty Baker's bullpen a rest.

"Bronson made it look easy. He had it going on," Baker said. "I wanted to give the bullpen a rest and Bronson gave it to us. Everybody (in the bullpen) was in pretty good shape tonight. At least they said they were but I didn't think they were. We have the day off tomorrow, then we go into Milwaukee with a lot at stake."

The Reds trail the Cardinals by a game and a half. They meet in St. Louis Monday to start a four-game set. They trail Milwaukee by half a game and could come out ahead of the Brewers by winning the series.

They are six games over .500 for the second time this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment