
Dateline: Cincinnati
The Reds selected the contract of Carlos Jorge from Triple A Louisville on Friday (090326).
Ivan Johnson was optioned to Louisville and the Reds placed Michael Toglia on the 60-injured list with a separated right shoulder.
Jorge is a speedy left handed hitter, who is 5'9" and a 22-year old native of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
He was in Dayton last year and slashed .251/.342/.355 with 16 doubles, four triples, six home runs and 37 RBI in 110 games. He stole 40 bases in 47 attempts.
After an impressing spring in Goodyear, Jorge, went to Chattanooga for 59 games, slashing .330/.402/.452 with four doubles, three triples, six home runs and 32 RBI. He stole 23 bases in 27 attempts. Jorge was promoted to Louisville for 29 games, .263/.323/.377 with five doubles, a triple, two home runs and 11 RBI. He was 10 for 11 in stolen bases.
Terry Francona pointed him out after watching him perform at the end of games in Goodyear this spring.
"Nothing was given to him. He just kind of played his ass off," Francona said. "He will play center field against the righties. I think a lot we wanted to get him here now. You want to win every game you can but you also try to set yourself up for next year. I saw energy. His energy is off the charts which is good. He is a highlight center fielder. There are some ambitious mistakes. That's ok. You'd rather have it that way. We're looking forward to knowing him."
Jorge made strides this season.
"I'm excited to be here, to get the opportunity to prove myself," Jorge said. "I know we are at the end of the season. I will try to do my best. Tito watched me play in spring. That was good. Last year I didn't think I would be here. I won't stop learning and keep working hard."
"Offensively, I am better at controlling the strike zone and using the whole field. I'm going to be an energy guy. I going to cheer for my team like I hope they will cheer for me. I feel like I'm family here there are guys that I played with. At the end of the day we are family. I'm a speedy guy. My job is to be on base for the guys," Jorge said.

No comments:
Post a Comment