About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Reds Rookies Punish Padres

    https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  


Juan Brito hit his first major league home run and fellow rookie, Hector Rodriguez belted his fifth both in the fourth inning to help the Reds to a 7-3 win over the San Diego Padres.

"We got offense, some of it from the bottom of the order," Terry Francona said. "I thought we played a good game. I thought we played a good all around game."

The Reds won their second series in a row against contenders for the playoffs. The Padres started the game with a half game lead over the Arizona Diamondbacks for the third wild card spot.

Rodriguez has five home runs in his last 10 games. 

"I think we're starting to see him," Francona said. "When he first got here. He tried to do too much. It happens a lot. He's ultra aggressive and has always been like that his whole career. When he swings at strikes you see what he can do. His hands are extraordinary."

Brandon Williamson made his seventh start of the season and first since April 30, returning from shoulder fatigue.m

It didn't start as well as he wished. 

Fernando Tatis Jr. opened with a single to center. Williamson got the next two outs but former Red, Ty France hit his 20th home run to put the Padres up. The ball hit the top of the wall but bounced over the wall.

Austin Hays, another former Red, doubled off Sal Stewart's glove at first base and Tatis Jr. drove him in with a ground single to center.

JJ Bleday saved the Reds from more damage making a running catch of Jackson Merrill's attempt at an extra base hit.

The Reds took control in the bottom of the second against Casey Mize. 

Tyler Stephenson walked and Dane Myers followed with a single. Juan Brito reached the right field seats with his first major league home run to tie the game. Brito is not known for power but he did hit 21 in a full season at Triple A Columbus in the Cleveland Guardians organization in 2024. Hector Rodriguez hit his fifth home run and first at Great American Ball Park to put the Reds on top.

"It was something that you're looking for," Brito said through interpreter Tomas Vera. "When it happens you have fun."

Brito had to recover from some injuries in 2025. He hit 11 this season between Columbus and Louisville.

"I had a hand injury last year," Brito said. "It took me away for a couple months. When I was ready to come back, I had the hamstring injuries. That took a lot from me."

Part of the good all around game was the infield play. Brito and McLain turned a double play and followed it up with a nice recovery when the ball bounced off Williamson. Edwin Arroyo made a tough play on France look easy in the eighth.

"Brito came as advertised," Francona said. "He knows how to play and plays the way he's supposed to. I thought Arroyo made a nice play. He made a long throw that had plenty of carry on it."

Williamson rallied and pitched into the sixth inning. He retired eight straight until he walked France to start the inning. Xander Bogaerts ran out an infield hit but Williamson struck out Ethan Salas, making his first big league appearance as the Padres starting catcher. He is just 20 years old. 

"Willie gave up that home run in the first and it really wasn't hit that, you know. It was 94 MPH off the bat. After that he kind of kept them off. He had a good cutter, a change up. He stayed out there for 90 something pitches," Francona said.

Pierce Johnson relieved Williamson and got the final two outs.

"I felt good pretty much from the jump," Williamson said. "Any time you can pitch in the majors it's a big deal. I think there may be a little more sense of urgency but I know what I can do. My arm feels good. We're playing playoff teams but if you're a big leaguer, you have to believe you can face anyone who is in the box, no matter what uniform they wear."

Williamson pitched 5 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits and two walks. He struck out five.

He picked up the win on his daughter's birthday. 

"I'd like to shout out some guys from Arizona. Erick Gonzalez helped get me here for sure. I didn't do it on my own. My wife and kids were with me," Williamson said.

Matt McLain drove in an insurance run with a bases loaded sacrifice fly. Bleday started the inning with a bunt single. Dane Myers singled up the middle off David Morgan. Brito walked to load the bases. 

Tejay Antone walked Jake Cronenworth to start the seventh but he struck out Tatis Jr. on a 3-2 pitch. Stephenson completed the double play catching Cronenworth stealing.

Elly De La Cruz collected his second single of the game off Sycamore High School grad, Kyle Hart. The Padres turned to Jhony Brito. Bleday set an new career high with his 22nd home run 416 ft. into the right field stands to double the Reds' lead.

Bleday, who hit for the cycle on August 22, is a triple short of repeating the feat. 

Tony Santillan pitched a scoreless eighth.

Emilio Pagan pitched a perfect 14-pitch inning in a non-save situation.




No comments:

Post a Comment