About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Reds Late Rally Evens Series with San Diego

     https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  

Jose Trevino spoiled the San Diego Padres strategy with a bases loaded single and new comer Juan Brito delivered what proved to be the winning run with a sacrifice fly to take down the San Diego Padres, 4-3 to tie the series.

San Diego manager and University of Dayton graduate intentionally walked Dane Myers against left handed pitcher Adrian Morejon with runners at second and third with one out playing for an inning ending double play but Trevino ruined the move and is 3-for-3 with the bases loaded this season.

"I don't know about career wise because I haven't been around him that much," Terry Francona said. "I just know that he can get to velocity. Their guy was throwing 98, 99. I also know that he can hit into a double play but we had Stevo (Tyler Stephenson) behind him if he didn't drive him in. He had a really good at bat and so did Brito."

Trevino has been comfortable in general.

"That Tito trust me in that situation and my teammates too," Trevino said. "You look in the dugout and you see guys, let's go, let's go. Right now in September it's tough."

"It was a really good at bat. He kind of came as advertised," Francona continued. "I saw him when he was a kid but PK (Louisville manager, Pat Kelly) talked about how he just plays the game. He does things the right way and kind of did that tonight."

The Padres spent very little time scoring against Nick Lodolo in the first inning.

Samad Taylor tripled into the left center field gap. Manny Machado, fresh off a four-hit night brought him home with a deep fly to right field. 

In the third inning, Jace Bowen led off with a triple. Fernando Tatis Jr. ground out to Brito at second with a drawn in infield. Lodolo hit Taylor with a pitch and Manny Machado walked to load the bases. Ty France hit into a double play.

"Lodolo had to fight through command early on," Francona said. "He held his stuff and his command got better. He gave us six and that was good."

Lodolo missed time with blisters on his left index finger but has changed his grip.

"I stuck with it and got out of that third there. I got through six and I've been searching for that," Lodolo said. "I am getting more comfortable with the new grip. We didn't throw it a ton tonight. I'm definitely getting more comfortable with it."

"He's put a ton of work since he came back from the IL," Trevino said. "Taking a mound visit. We're not out of the woods, yet but we could get Ty France on a ground ball. It was a clutch double play. We had Machado a good hitter, who is hot right now. Being able to pitch around him and understand that, is good."

The Reds got that right back against Randy Vasquez in the bottom half.

Hector Rodriguez started with a double. With two outs, JJ Bleday singled him home.

Fernando Tatis Jr. hit a line drive home run that had enough height to clear the right field wall for his 18th home run of the season in the fifth inning. 

Once again the Reds got the run back.

TJ Friedl walked with one out but was caught stealing second. The shame about it was Edwin Arroyo hit a ground rule double and was on second with two outs. Hector Rodriguez singled to tie the score. The Reds rookie has 14 hits in his last 38 at bats over his last 10 games at that point, a .368 average with eight RBI.

Lodolo pitched six innings, allowing two runs on five hits and two walks and two hit batters. He struck out five.

Luis Mey took over in the seventh and pitched around a walk and catcher's interference to post a scoreless inning. 

Brock Burke made his 69th appearance in the top of the eighth. 

Jackson Merrill hit a two out double. The Reds walked Xander Bogaerts intentionally. Burke struck out pinch hitter, Luis Campusano to send a tie game to the bottom of the eighth.

Adrian Morejon started the bottom of the eighth for San Diego.

Elly De La Cruz walked to lead off the inning. Sal Stewart's second hit of the game sent De La Cruz to third. Bleday bounced out to second as De La Cruz held. Stewart went to second. Matt McLain was walked intentionally to pitch to Jose Trevino, who singled to score one run. Juan Brito scored Stewart with a sacrifice fly to left. 

David Morgan replaced Morejon. Dane Myers flied out to right.

Emilio Pagan entered to try to nail down a save.

He got two quick outs on fly balls but Tatis Jr. hit his second home run of the game and 19th of the season. Pagan struck out Taylor to earn his 20th save.



No comments:

Post a Comment