About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Reds Restock Roster With Top Prospect

       https://gofund.me/b67c71781


Dateline: Cincinnati  


The Reds lost two players at the trade deadline, Nathaniel Lowe and Caleb Ferguson left the roster, the Reds recalled Chase Petty and Hector Rodriguez, a 22-year old left handed hitting outfielder.

The Reds acquired Rodriguez at the trade deadline in 2022, sending Tyler Naquin to the New York Mets.

Rodriguez was enjoying his best professional season at Triple A Louisville. In 104 games, Rodriguez was slashing .274/.347/.533 with 16 doubles, four triples, 27 home runs and 69 RBI. He had six stolen bases in eight tries. He walked 42 times and struck out 93 times. Rodriguez has six minor league seasons and slashed .287/.339/.533 totalling 108 doubles, 35 triples, 80 home runs and 297 RBI.

"We've been trying to figure out at times, how to get him here," Terry Francona said. "The last thing you want to do is bring up a prospect kid and then you don't have a way to play him. He will play some right. He will play some left. We want to see how he looks out there. He will probably DH. That's why moving (Nathaniel) Lowe to Cleveland as much as we liked what he did for us, this allows us to get a good look at Hector."

The Reds number three prospect has played all three outfield positions mostly right field 55 and left field 28 but has three games in center field. Rodriguez has been working on his defense and claims to be more comfortable.

"My offense is my strongest part," Rodriguez said. "I'm going to be doing early work like I've been doing in Louisville. They made me an outfielder. I didn't have the confidence but now I feel good." 

The Reds hope Rodriguez is able to replace Lowe's left handed bat.

"PK (Louisville manager Pat Kelly) said he's been working hard. He's been a really good worker and he's improved dramatically. You come here, the game is faster, which we know. I just told him try to do the right thing. Play the game right and if you have a question just ask us."

Petty was sent back to Louisville this weekend but returns to fill the bullpen void left by Ferguson's departure.

"We told him when he left that he probably needed a couple days but don't go to far. Throw a side, but don't get on the plane to St. Paul," Francona said.

It was at the Louisville airport getting ready to board the plane to play the St. Paul Saints in the International League that Rodriguez got the call to the big leagues.

"I didn't believe it. They told me before I was getting on the airplane and I did not believe it," Rodriguez said through interpreter, Tomas Vera. "The first thing I did was call mom and dad. They were really happy."



No comments:

Post a Comment