About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 14, 2026

Pitching Shines In Reds Series Opening Win

   https://gofund.me/b67c71781



Dateline: Cincinnati  


Chase Burns made the most of minimal support to post his 14th win of the season, a 1-0 win over the Miami Marlins.

A pitching duel between a pair of 13-game winners entertained fans as the Reds and Marlins opened a three-game series.

Reds All-Star Chase Burns, 13-2, and Sandy Alcantara, 13-6, hooked up. Alcantara came into the game with 20 straight scoreless innings on three straight scoreless outings. He leads the Major Leagues with 163 2/3 innings and 18 quality starts coming into the game.

"I've watched him for a long time. Going against a guy like that, you have to be at your best," Burns said.

Hits were hard to come by in the first five innings. The Marlins had two in the first five. The Reds had one with three walks.

The Reds got a gift to snap Alcantara's scoreless streak at 26 innings. Former Marlin, JJ Bleday singled with one out. Tyler Stephenson beat a relay on an attempted inning ending double play. Eugenio Suarez hit a line drive to left. Left fielder Heriberto Hernandez made a diving try at a catch but it skipped past him for an RBI double. It was Suarez', 1,500th career hit. 

Burns shut out the Marlins on four hits in seven innings. He issued no walks and struck out eight. He dropped his ERA from 2.61 to 2.47.

"I think he was good from the get go," Terry Francona said. "He got some quick outs and didn't walk anybody. That's what allowed him to go deep in the game. This is probably the best, I've seen him."

Brock Burke made his 62nd appearance with three left handed batters due up. Marlins' manager, Clayton McCullough, used his bench sending three right handed pinch hitters after Burke. Burke struck all of them out. 

Emilio Pagan had an MRI that gave him a clean bill of health. He retired the top of the Marlins order easily to post his 15th save. He has eight saves and two wins in his last 10 outings.



No comments:

Post a Comment