About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer and a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992.I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble.I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Dane Myers Plucked Petey Halpin's Two Out Drive At The Wall To Save Reds

   https://gofund.me/b67c71781


Dateline: Cincinnati  


JJ Bleday hit his 18th home run to start the scoring with two outs in the first inning. The Reds bullpen kept the Cleveland Guardians silent to win the second game of the day/night double header, 2-0.

Opener Caleb Ferguson retired the Guardians in order in the first but walked Rhys Hoskins to open the second. Travis Bazzana singled to put runners at the corner with one out. Ferguson struck out Gabrial Arias then turned the ball over to Julian Garcia, who retired Austin Hedges on a ground out to second baseman, Ivan Johnson.

The Reds added a run in the fifth inning. Dane Myers walked to open the inning. He stole second. Ivan Johnson dumped a flare in front of Steven Kwan for his first big league hit. A slow ground ball by Jose Trevino moved the runners up. Gavin Williams threw a wild pitch to score Myers.

Jose Franco entered the game in the fourth inning. He walked Brayan Rocchio to start his stint. He struck out Bazzana but Austin Hedges singled Franco retired the next nine batters but had to leave with a 2-1 count to Halpin with right elbow discomfort. Tejay Antone picked him up with two outs and the bases empty.

"We caught a break. If that happened to Franco earlier, I really don't know what we'd have done," Terry Francona said. "He got us to a point where Tejay (Antone) could take it and get us through the eighth. If that ball goes out (Chase) Petty was the only one available, and he didn't need to be pitching."

Halpin walked. It was charged to Franco but Kwan flied out routinely to left. Franco pitched 3 2/3 innings and earned his first Major League win. He allowed one hit and a walk.

"I worked very hard for that one," Franco said through interpreter Tomas Vera. "Tomorrow, we're going to know. It was super frustrating because I felt great. I think I can help the team. It was a little scary. I felt some sharp pain."

Williams pitched eight innings and tied his career-high with 12 strikeouts. It was the fourth straight game in which he struck out 11 or more. He allowed just three hits and walked one.

Antone was set to face Jose Ramirez, Chase DeLauter and Kyle Manzardo in the eighth inning. Ramirez struck out. DeLauter struck out swinging. Ahtone hit Manzardo with a pitch but goe Rocchio to fly out to center. 

Emilio Pagan entered in the ninth to protect the two-run lead.

He struck out Bazzana on a checked swing. Gabriel Arias singled to left to bring the tying run to the plate. Pinch hitter Patrick Bailey struck out. Myers caught Halpin's long drive at the fence to end the game.  Pagan got his 11th save of the season in 14 chances.

"I think he would be a pretty good corner back, defensive backs. I've seen a lot of good ones and been doing this a long time. He is one of the best I've seen, keeping his speed to the wall. He sees contact," Terry Francona said.

After a game in Chicago in which Myers dropped a ball at the wall, he told Pagan that he wanted to make a play like that for you.

"He had the opportunity and he did it," Pagan said. "Honesty when he hit it I thought how did he hit that ball so good. It was up and away and that's my strength. He put a good swing on it but it was a better catch. He is one of the toughest people I know."

"About halfway through I was looking at Marte and he was looking at me. Once we made eye conatact, I figured it was probably my ball," Myers said. "Running into the wall is not in my mind in that situation in the game. I would say a little more free safety but I'm glad Tito compared me that way. It is the will to go get it. If I have to go into the wall that late in the game."

No comments:

Post a Comment