About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Edinson Volquez is Likely to Return to Reds for His Next Start

Edinson Volquez
Edinson Volquez had another good outing on Thursday night in Louisville.

"There's a good chance he could make his next start here," Dusty Baker said before the Reds game against the Dodgers started.  "I haven't talked to Rick Sweet (Louisville manager) or Ted Power (Louisville pitching coach). I've read the reports.  He's been throwing the ball good.  He's been throwing more strikes.  We wanted him to throw more strikes and pitch ahead of the hitters.  He seems to be doing that."

Baker wants to look him in the eye before making the move.

"I want him to tell me in his own words, how he's doing," Baker said.  "He can't lie to me.  I have the numbers.  I just want to hear things from him."

Volquez pitched 6 2/3 innings against Syracuse on Thursday.  He allowed one run on five hits.  He did walk four.

"A pitcher is going to walk some guys, especially a power pitcher.  It depends on when," Baker said.  "You just want to cut down on them and pitch ahead in the count more often."

No comments:

Post a Comment