About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Cordero Rewards Baker's Faith With 300th Save

Francisco Cordero
If you turn the clock around to last year, so many Reds fans were in a hurry to run Francisco Cordero out of town.

Cordero, who lost his mother over the winter prior to the 2010 season, was struggling with his control.   He had blown six saves by the All-Star break.  Cordero finished with 40 saves in 48 chances and reeled off 11 consecutive successful saves in the Reds drive to the playoffs.

Enamored by Aroldis Chapman's 100 plus mile an hour fastball, fans and some media members openly pushed for Chapman to replace Cordero.

Baker refused.  He stuck with his closer through the tough times.

Cordero will never forget it.  When Cordero became the 22nd relief pitcher in baseball history to record his 300th career save on Wednesday, Baker gave his closer an extra hug and pat on the back.

"That was for Cordero's mama," Baker said.  "I was glad for him.  It was a little added incentive for what he went through."

"I don't know what to say," Codero said.  "It's a big number.  A lot of people have congratulated me.  It's not only me.  You guys in the media have been great to me."

Cordero wasn't thinking about it a lot but was reminded about it daily.

"I told people it will come.  We waited for 299.  We can wait a little longer for 300.  Now I can focus on just making as many saves as I can to help this team to the playoffs," Cordero said, who planned to celebrate with some of his family that is in town.

Baker's faith meant a lot.

"He's a great guy," Cordero said.  "He told me, 'I always believe in you'.  Dusty is one of the best managers I've ever played for and not just a good manager but a good man. He talks to you about other things than baseball."

Cordero will have some momentos to hang on the walls of his home in the Dominican Republic.

"Rick Stowe has the ball.  He knows what to do with it.  He has the jersey and the hat.  I know they will make something nice out of them to hang on my wall at home."


By Jerry Dowling


No comments:

Post a Comment