About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Elly De la Cruz Deemed Ready Moves Directly To The Middle Of The Reds Lineup

 

r

Elly De la Cruz always knew he was ready for the Major Leagues. He just had to wait until the Reds reached the same conclusion.

"I knew this day was going to come. I was enjoying the moment," De la Cruz said through interpreter Jorge Morillo. "I always knew that I was ready but it was up to personnel to make the decision for me."

The 21-year old is a Red. The news Reds fans have waited for became official at 1:08 as the team announced the promotion of its top prospect.

The Dominican Republic native has dominated Triple A this season, hitting over .300 most of the year with tremendous power.

He was hitting .298 with 12 home runs  and 36 RBI at Louisville. He also stole 11 bases.

The metrics on his talents have raised excitement and expectations.

His talents will be on display at Great American Ball Park as the Reds host the Los Angeles Dodgers in a three-game series.

There were things he needed to work on between spring training and today.

"For me it has always been plate discipline, swinging at pitches that I liked and not swinging at the pitches that were not a strike," said De la Cruz, who will wear number 44. "For me I finally saw they were throwing me pitches that I was not going to make good contact on. So I decided not to swing until I saw a pitch that I liked."

He will start at third base and bat cleanup in his Reds’ debut tonight. He is taking the roster spot of Nick Senzel, who was placed on the 10-day IL with a sore knee.

He prefers shortstop but is fine just playing.

"We know what kind of player Elly is. We think its a fit," David Bell said. "There is comfort in Elly's ability. Just like any young player he has things to work on. He is going to continue to get better. He's as ready as he can be and there is something to be said for trusting these guys."




No comments:

Post a Comment