About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Justin Verlander Shuts Down Reds To Complete His Major League Circuit

 

The Reds are the only team that Justin Verlander, the three-time Cy Young Award winner, has never beaten.  In two starts, he was 0-1 against Cincinnati.

Verlander allowed two hits in seven innings to become the 21st pitcher to beat all 30 teams in the major leagues at least once in a 2-1 win. 

The Reds opened the game with a first inning run off the Mets' ace in his second start for his new team.

Jonathan India singled and scored on Jake Fraley's double.  That was all Verlander allowed.

"That was our opportunity to turn that into a big inning," David Bell said.  "To his credit he settled in after that.  He was outstanding."

Hunter Greene struck out all three Mets in the first inning but Pete Alonso led off the second with his 13th home run of the season.

Greene, who is winless, retired the first two batters in the fourth inning but Luis Guillorme doubled.  Francisco Alvarez walked.  Brandon Nimmo delivered a run scoring single with two outs.

"I did a good job of getting ahead of hitters but I couldn't put them away," Greene said. "I felt I was able to keep the game under control. I got a lot of good swings and misses but there were times when I was hit. It was not my best game with stuff but I'm proud I kept the game under control."

Stephenson, who walked twice, was caught stealing to end the first inning.  He walked in the fourth.  Verlander retired the other 18 Reds' batters, including the last 10 in a row.

Adam Ottavino took over for Verlander to start the Reds's eighth. He retired the Reds in order.

David Robertson took over looking for his seventh save in seven chances, facing the top of the Reds' batting order.  Robertson allowed just one run in 14 1/3 innings for an 0.63 ERA. 

He retired the Reds in order, striking out two.

Greene intends to seek Verlander and get a jersey signed by him when the Reds go to New York in September.

"It was awesome going against Verlander," Greene said. "I plan on seeking him out tomorrow if our schedules align.  I have to go against that dude in real time.  I have to believe I'm better but he's fantastic.  I aspire to have a career like he has. It was really, really cool."



No comments:

Post a Comment