About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Aaron Judge And Anthony Rizzo Strike Again As Yanks Win In 10

 



Aaron Judge's fourth hit of the game broke a 4-4 tie in 10th inning and Anthony Rizzo clocked his 11th home run of the season off Ian Gibaut as the New York Yankees beat the Reds 7-4.

Rizzo took Gibaut deep on Friday night in the Yankees win in the opening game of the series.

Greg Allen, called up before the game as Aaron Hicks was released opened the inning as the ghost runner.  He advanced to third on a fly ball to right and trotted home on Judge's hit.  Judge failed to homer for the eighth time in eight games but extended his hitting streak to eight games and reached base in all five plate appearances.

Bell elected to pitch to Judge with a base open and one out.  He had used Alexis Diaz to stop the Yankees in the ninth inning. 

Aaron Boone thought Bell might pitch to Judge, swung at two pitches from Gibaut and missed them before hitting the single.

"It's a luxury to have Judge at the plate," Boone said. "He's obviously in a good place right now and a great player. In that inning, them already using their closer, we have the top of our order at the very least we're going to have competitive at bats there. Gleyber getting him to third base, forcing the infield in sets us up even better. He gets two strikes then is able to hit one on a line."

"I thought is was possible, that they would walk Judgy but they were a strike away from getting him and you got a heavy one on deck, where your putting potentially the second run on base. As great as Judgy is you do have the chance for the strikeout there which is what you need in that situation."

Judge tried not to think about whether they would walk him or not. He tried to shut out how hot he was when he went to the plate.

"Gleyber getting the runner to third, then it was just about getting the job done. I tried to get a pitch up in the zone," Judge said. "I just wanted to score him and give us the lead. I went up a little aggressive. The third one I was able to put it in play and set it up for Riz to do the real damage."

"Having Riz behind me helps big time. For me I can't go up with the mindset that they're going to walk me. I have to stick to my game plan. I can't wonder if they're going to walk me, throw a couple pitches and walk me. If you go with that mindset you're defeated before you even step in there."

"I try not to think about being in a hot streak. I try to treat every at bat like it's its own at bat. No matter if I got out or a hit in my previous at bat. It's about going out there and assessing the situation. I look at who is on the mound and what I have to do to help the team. If you go up with that mindset, you never know if you're hot or cold."

Rizzo has now hit 24 home runs at Great American Ball Park.

The Reds scored in the first inning against rookie Jhony Brito. Rookie Matt McLain walked and advanced on a balk when Brito lost his balance before a pitch to Jake Fraley, who singled to plate McLain.

The Yankees pounded the left field wall for a run. Catcher Ben Rortvedt, batting ninth doubled off the wall off Weaver. It was his first at bat since 2021. Judge hit the ball hard over Fraley's head. The left fielder turned and took the rebound off the base of the wall to hold Judge to a single.

The Reds regained the lead in the bottom of the inning. After getting two quick outs, Brito walked Jonathan India, McLain and Fraley, who beat a throw from Anthony Volpe on a ground ball into the hole hit by Spencer Steer.

Luke Maile hit a home run with Jose Barrero on base. It was the third home run of the season for Maile and his second in his last two games.

Isiah Kiner-Falefa got one run back on his second home run of the season in the fifth. Rorvedt and Torres followed with singles bringing Judge to the plate. He doubled for his third hit of the game, driving home his second run of the game. It put runners on second and third with one out, ending Weaver's start short of five innings to qualify for a win.  Alex Young was inserted to face left handed, Rizzo. He singled to right to tie the score but Wil Myers relayed to India, who nailed Judge at the plate.  DJ LeMahieu singled. Harrison Bader fouled out to Maile to end the streak of six straight hits. 







No comments:

Post a Comment