About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Tyler Stephenson Comes Into Camp As The New Young Veteran

 

 

 Tyler Stephenson is in his fifth Major League camp with the Reds.

At 26, his two years of total service time, makes him fifth in terms of service with the Reds.

Stephenson along with Jonathan India burst onto the scene in regular roles in 2021.  He was recognized with two third place votes for Rookie of the Year in 2021 an honor won by India.

The pair was counted on in 2022 to allow the Reds to be competitive in 2022 but injuries put the kabash on the Reds plans.  Stephenson suffered a concussion, broken thumb and on July 23 had his season ended with a broken clavical.  He played in just 50 games, hitting .319 with six home runs and 35 Runs Batted In.

Still he caught more games 43 than any othere Reds' catchers and the pitching staff had a 4.86 ERA when he caught.

Stephenson, who hit in the cage a little today, is just happy to be back and around his teammates.

"I'm hoping to have a healthy season and just be around my teammates," Stephenson said.  "When you rehab, you come in early and don't have to stay around for games. It is good to be around everybody again and be involved."

His involvement will be a little different.  Curt Cassali, who shared catching with Tucker Barnhart before spending two years with the Giants, is back.  Luke Maille, a Covington Catholic grad, is also in camp to play a role in catching this season.

"They have experience," Stephenson said. "Everybody knows how great Curt is.  It is good to have him back.  I just met Luke today.  There is a guy that I work out who was with Cleveland.  He told me a lot of good things about him."

Stehphenson will not be catching as much.  He will spend time a DH and firstbase.

"David (Bell) called and I've had conversations with Nick (GM Krall). I'm looking forward to being in the lineup more.  It will be an adjustment.  We talked about 140 games. I am looking forward to see how that goes," Stephenson said.

Stephenson also helped make an equipment adjustment over the winter. He wears an EVO Shield chest protector and went to Chicago to talk to them.  He has a refigured chest protector with extra padding.

"It feels good.  I've used it in blocking drills.  We won't really know until we get into games.  I was hit with a hundred mile an hour pitch directly on the clavical.  Who knows if anything would have stopped it," Stephenson said. 

The Reds will have some new faces in the lineup and will be a lot younger.  Stephenson mentioned players that could help like Matt McClain and Noelvi Marte.  Elly De La Cruz may need more time at Triple A but he is a high end prospect right now.

"I'm curious about what our average age will be," Stephenson said.

Stephenson has been around manager David Bell for five years now and has confidence in his skipper.

"His first year was in 2019, my first camp.  I saw how everyone rallied around him. He has taught me about handling adversity.  It is just his tone.  He's very mellow.  We know he has our back and he believes in us.  He never doubts us whether we're going good or bad."

"




No comments:

Post a Comment