About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Hunter Greene Gets Second Spring Start Vladimir Gutierrez Has A Good Outing

 

 

 

 


Hunter Greene, the Reds' top pick in the 2017 pitched in his second spring game.

Greene and Vladimir Gurierrez each pitched two scoreless innings in what is turning into a competition to fill four spots behind Tyler Mahle.

The Reds lost Sonny Gray and Wade Miley from the roster.  Luis Castillo and Mike Minor are behind the others and will not likely be ready on April 7 when the season starts in Atlanta.

Greene had some base runners to work around in his two frames.

He gave up four singles and struck out one.

"I felt good. I felt like my pitches were coming out nice," Greene said.  "I feel good about my change up. Guys were a little off balance. It just makes the fastball that much better.  The fastball's great the slider's cool but the change up is where my mind's at.  I'm happy with that."

He had to work out of the stretch.

"It's going to happy.  I'm getting comfortable with that.  DJ (pitching coach Derek Johnson) says, 'you're going to be working from the stretch more than the wind up."

"I think I'm doing well.  I have a lot of confidence in myself," Greene said. "I'm trying to stay in the middle and not get too hyped up about making the team."

Gutierrez, who pitched very well last year, allowed just one hit and struck out three.

The Reds top of the order Jonathan reached on pitcher Tyler Rogers throwing error after Shogo Akiyama opened the inning with a single.  Kyle Farner singled in Akiyama and Joey Votto singled off Rogers' ankle to knock in a run.  

Jeff Hoffman, Buck Farmer, Kyle Dowdy made the lead stand up until the ninth. Riley O'Brien gave up the Giants lone run in the ninth as the Reds prevailed 2-1.

Reds' pitching was good all day.

"Hunter had a good fastball.  He had a good slider.  He gave up a couple hits with two stirikes," Bell said.  "I don't think he's happy but we're happy where he is.  Vladimir was really good. I thought that was how he looked early in the season last year.  The ball was coming out of his hand real good.  He was making pitchers, locating and his stuff was there," Bell said.








No comments:

Post a Comment