About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Tom Seaver Dies At 75 Leaves Memories

 

I was 24 years old on June 15, 1977.  I can remember driving my younger brother Rick downtown so he could go to a concert by Dan Fogelburg.  The radio was turned to Jim Lababera on WLW.  The news came over the air that the Reds traded Doug Flynn, Dan Norman, Steve Henderson and Pat Zachary to the New York Mets for Tom Seaver.  I turned to my brother and told him that the Reds just traded for the pennant.

At the start of that day the Reds were 32-27 and seven games behind the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Western Division.  My prediction was wrong.  The Reds finished 10 games behind the Dodgers but Seaver won 14 games and lost three for the Reds the rest of that season.  In five and a half seasons, Seaver won 75 games and lost 46 for the Reds and pitched a no hitter

Seaver passed away today at the age of 75.










No comments:

Post a Comment