About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Reds Castillo and Mahle Better in Reds Loss to Padres



Luis Castillo finished two innings in his second start.  He started the game rough when Abraham Almonte hit a line drive that sliced away from Shogo Yakiyama who dived for the ball.  It eluded him for a triple.

Castillo finished his second inning, allowing the one run on four hits and a walk.  He struck out four.

"He was better," David Bell said.  "He's not where he needs to be by the start of the season."

Tyler Mahle replaced Castillo.  Mahle was in his first Cactus League game.  Mahle walked Greg Garcia and scored on a long home run by Jason Vosler.

Mahle is in the same situation he was in last year which is the sixth starter.  He made the rotation when Alex Wood was unable to pitch because of back pain.  Mahle has promise but his record last year wasn't good. His record was 3-12 with a 5.14 ERA. It always seem that a good outing would be ruined by on bad inning. If he doesn't start, it is possible Mahle could be in the bullpen.

Against the Padres Mahle finished 1 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on one hit and one walk.

"It would be alright with me if I was in the bullpen," Mahle said.  "Any chance I get to be in the Major Leagues, I'd be more than happy with."

Alex Wood signed back with the Dodgers but the Reds signed left handed starter Wade Miley to fill the last spor of the rotation with Castillo, Anthony DeSclafani, Trevor Bauer and Sonny Gray. It leaves Mahle either in the bullpen in Cincinnati or the rotation in Louisville.

"I had a shiity year last year," Mahle said. "They're not going to give me a ton of chances, chances over and over again.  They made a move to get a veteran arm in here. You can't blame them."

Mahle is just trying to smooth out his deliveries and pitches.

"I need to hit spots more with my fastball.  It was my first outing. I'll get there. My breaking ball was pretty good," Mahle said.  "I need another out pitch.  A lot of the time when I got hurt it was two strikes. Everytime I would try to throw a breaking ball under the zone.  I just didn't have that pitch and it hurt me over and over.  I am using a slider for now but I am working on a curve that will change planes and get under the strike zone."

"I thought Mahles stuff was really good.  the results weren't great but the stuff was really there," Bell said.  "It was a good day for Tyler.  He had a lot working for him."

Freddie Galvis was perfect in his first spring game.  He singled and walked twice.  Galvis had a sore throwing shoulder.  Bell will DH him every other day for the next week before he plays in the field.

Sloppy fielding led to four runs while Raisel Iglesias was on the mound.  He gave up for hits but should have been out of the inning twice. Greg Garcia singled.  Brian Dozier forced him at second base but the play was awkward with the shift on both Alfredo Rodriguez and Kyle Farmer moved to field the ball.  Farmer got it but Rodriguez was out of position to make the pivot.  They only got the force.  Vosler took a close 3-2 pitch for ball four with Dozier running.  Curt Casali threw to second and the ball sailed into center field with Dozier going to third base. Gordon Beckham hit a ground ball to third.  Alex Blandino threw Dozier out at home but Vosler scored when Farmer just missed the throw from Blandino, trying to advance to third.  Austin Hedges singled to score Beckham.  Jorge Orna blasted a long home run that cleared the fence behind the plaza on top of the berm in left field.

The Reds scored after Matt Davidson was hit by a pitch and had to leave the game. Christian Colon ran for him.  Akiyama singled and Galvis walked to load the bases.  Jesse Winker hit a sacrifice fly to center field. 

Alfredo Rodriguez, who replaced Derek Dietrich, who was hit by a pitch, hit a two run home run.  Travis Jankowski left the game after legging out a double.  Jankowski told Bell it was just a cramp but it appeared to be a hamstring at first. 








No comments:

Post a Comment