About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Xavier Rebounds With A Win In Skip Prosser Classic



The Xavier Musketeers used a 11-0 run to take a 60-55  lead in the second half to defeat the Western Carolina Catamounts in the Skip Prosser Classic.

Xavier (10-2)  road the momentum to a 74-61 win over Western Carolina (7-3, 1-0 Southern Conference).

WCU coach, Mark Prosser is the son of the former Xavier coach who died of a heart attack while coaching Wake Forest University.  Wake Forest defeated Xavier 80-78 on Saturday December 14.

Prosser was a child when his father coached at Xavier.  It was a unique experience for him to come back to coach this game.

"This one was different for me," Prosser said.  "Seeing the logo on the floor was really special.  It was fun to be a part of this.  I want to thank Wake Forest and Xavier for continuing this series to remember my father.  It is special."

Xavier led 32-29 at half but the Catamounts broke out with a seven-point lead.  Xavier's run put an end to WCU's aspirations.

Quentin Goodin scored 25 points and made all four of his 3-point jumpers to lead the Musketeers.  Josh Carter scored 14 points and had nine rebounds. Zach Freemantle scored 13 points off the bench.

"It was the next play mentality.  I knew I'd have to pick up my game with Naji not being here," said Goodin, who notched career high.  Marshall was ill and could not play.  He remained in his room and wasn't on the bench.

"Quentin played like a senior with great poise, great rhythm.  He was confident," Xavier coach Travis Steele said.

Tyrique Jones had 11 rebounds in six minutes of play but was cold from the floor.

"Zach Freemantle picked us up.  Tyrique didn't have it<" Steele said.  "Tyrique is a really good player.  He could be the dominant player on the floor every single night."

Carter used a couple dunks to amass his point total.

"I felt a little bouncy today," Carter said.

Cincinnati native and former Walnut Hills High School star, Kameron Gibson led the Catamounts with 16 points.  Mason Faulkner, a transfer from Northern Kentucky University added 14 points for WCU.

"It was special and fun to come back and play in front of my family and friends and have a good game," Gibson said.  "I don't get to see them too much during the season."











No comments:

Post a Comment