About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, July 26, 2019

Reds Catching Carousel Takes Another Lap Nick Senzel Sits One More Day Slams Critics



The Reds have used five catchers in the last 34 days. 

It is Tucker Barnhart's turn to jump back on the painted pony.  He was placed on the injured list with a strained right oblique but last appeared in a game on June 22. 

Last night, (Thursday), Barnhart caught five innings with the Louisville Bats and was scheduled to catch seven innings tonight (Friday) but that plan was scratched to activate him to the big league roster.

"You don't want to rush anyone but he's been cleared and we have to get him back," David Bell said.

Juan Graterol was placed on concussion protocol for seven days.  Graterol was added to the roster when Curt Casali went down with a knee injury.  Casali last appeared on July 15. 

"Juan can't play.  It is complicated with the protocol.  I can say from a rules standpoint, he was not going to be able to play tonight.  That is not allowed.  They have to one day of exertion, one day of full exertion," Bell said.  "I'm ok with the extra time."

Kyle Farmer the Reds' third catcher, is going through his second rehab start tonight (Friday) after going on the concussion protocol list on July 18.  He was the third catcher down, prompting the Reds to sign Ryan Lavarnway as the fifth catcher.

Barnhart is activated but Lavarnway will catch the opening game of the three-game series with the Colorado Rockies.

Nick Senzel will be available but is taking another night off after suffering an illness in Milwaukee.  Senzel has severe allergies which caused dizziness.  He is taking medication to help and wearing a pair of  blue blocker glasses to cut down on the glare from lights.

"I feel better than I did in Milwaukee," Senzel said.  "I grew up with some bad allergies.  Certain places my allergies cause dizziness.  When it happens it is hard to explain.  Once you have it and have it a second time.  There is a mental hurdle you have to get over.  I'm going to go through my routine today.  If everything goes well, I will be out there tomorrow."

Senzel is available later in the game.

"We just want him to go through the routine," Bell said.  "It is to get him over the mental hurdle and have one more day to recover."

The series of injuries have caused some of the fans on talk radio question his fortitude.  Senzel pushed back on it.

"It's frustrating," Senzel said.  "I see a lot of people talk very negatively about me in this regard.  I don't think it is fair.  I don't think it is fair to my teammates.  I come out here and play as hard as anyone on the field.  I want to win.  I never don't not want to play.  I want to play every single day here.  When things like this happens, some people don't know how tough it is.  Those people don't matter.  The people in this clubhouse matter."







No comments:

Post a Comment