About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 29, 2019

Reds Bury Pirates With A 10-Run Inning


The Reds put together a 10-run second inning and didn't look back, beating the Pittsburgh Pirates 11-6 in a rout.

The Reds won their third in a row while the Pirates lost its ninth straight.

Sonny Gray, the Reds' starter gave up Starling Marte's 18th home run of the season in the first inning.  The Reds used and abused Alex McRae, who was not supposed to start the game.  Scheduled starter Jordan Lyles was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers before the game.  McRae was the emergency starter.

"Sonny didn't have his best stuff," David Bell said.  "He knows how to pitch and was able to grind it out."

"I needed to throw more strikes," Gray said.  "I will be better at that."

The Reds opened up on McRae in the second inning.  Josh VanMeter and Scooter Gennett hit back-to-back doubles to tie the game. Tucker Barnhart singled home a run.  Gray and Jesse Winker walked. Joey Votto singled two runs home.  Eugenio Suarez walked to reload the bases. Montana DuRapau replaced McRae.  Yasiel Puig walked for an VanMeter grounded to Josh Bell at first but his throw home was wide.  Jose Iglesias capped the scoring with his second career grand slam.  It was his sixth home run of the season.

"I made a bet that if I hit a home run, I'm going to paint my hair," Iglesias said.  "It will either be purple or yellow.  It was huge.  I put a good swing on it."

The Reds lead the National League in offense since the All-Star break.  They are hitting .296 with a slugging percentage of .504 and an on-base-percentage of .357.

"I'm seeing a lot of adjustments," Bell said.  "We've talked about it in the beginning of the year.  It wouldn't surprise me if we finish strong.  It is not easy to do in the middle of the season.  It is no a very comfortable thing to do."

Brian Reynolds hit his ninth home run of the season in the fifth.

Winker scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the inning.

David Bell took Gray out of the game when two runners reached base in the sixth.  Wandy Peralta struck out Josh Bell but walked Reynolds to load the bases.  Colin Moran hit his third career grand slam and his 11th home run of the season to tighten the game.

Jared Hughes got four outs to take the lead into the ninth inning.

Robert Stephenson pitched a scoreless ninth in a non save situation.







No comments:

Post a Comment