About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Josh VanMeter's First Career Home Run Breaks Reds Losing Streak



The Reds and St. Louis Cardinals ran out of runs in last night's 12-11 win.  Runs were scarce until the sixth inning.  The Reds wore down the Cardinals starter to earn a 3-2 win.

Josh VanMeter's first career home run stopped the Reds' losing streak at four.

"We are really happy for Josh VanMeter it was a big home run, obviously," David Bell said.  He can hit. He has a good approach at the plate. He takes good at bats.  His demeanor is calm.  He's competitive but he is also very steady. It shows up in good at bats."

Luis Castillo and Miles Mikolas in the hot sun.  Mikolas scattered three hits and a walk.  Castillo scattered three hits without a walk until Matt Wieters hit his seventh home run of the season, leading off the sixth inning.

David Bell pinch hit for his ace in the bottom of the inning.

"We had to do what we could to get some runs," Bell said.

Castillo was strong enough to continue in spite of the heat.

"It was hot but I feel really strong right now.  I feel really good, said Castillo through interpreter Julio Murillo. "I feel confident. That's the phrase I'm going to use.  Me and the team have to respect the decision of the manager.  Of course I wanted to go out there again."

The Reds tied the game off Mikolas in the seventh.  Eugenio Suarez, who had two singles, walked to begin the seventh.  Yasiel Puig flirted with a home run down the right field line that faded into foul territory.  Puig recovered and hit a double into the left centerfield gap that rolled to the fence, allowing Suarez to score.   Rookie Josh VanMeter unloaded his first career home run.  VanMeter hit 13 in just over a month before he was recalled for the first time on May 5.

VanMeter has come close to his first home run several times but this one came at an important moment for the Reds.

"Man on second nobody out. Honestly, I was just trying to move the runner," VanMeter said. "I got a pitch elevated and hit it out of the park and did it feel good.  It is a weight off my shoulders.  The other cool part of it I knew I got it.  When I hit it I kind of let my body.  Usually, I don't show emotion. Emotions kind of took over.  I was a lot of fun, a dream come true.  You hit so many in Triple A, then you come up here and don't hit one in 49 at bats.  You wonder if you're ever going to hit one."

The Cardinals got one run back in the eighth inning off Michael Lorenzen.  Harrison Bader walked with one out and went to third on Tommy Edman's third hit of game, a double down the left field line.  Jose Martinez grounded out as Bader scored.

Jesse Winker led off the bottom of the eighth with a double. Nick Senzel ran for him.  Joey Votto's ground out got Senzel to third.  Suarez was walked intentionally but Puig struck out.  VanMeter lined out to the first baseman.

Lorenzen stayed in the game looking for his sixth save in his seventh try.  The Cardinals went down in order to complete the win.








Josh VanMeter


Luis Castillo













No comments:

Post a Comment