About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

David Bell And Tyler Mahle Talk About Usage






Tyler Mahle was unhappy that he had to leave the Friday night game against the Texas Rangers in the fifth inning.  Mahle got Elvis Andrus to pop up in the infield with two runners on for the first out.

David Bell replaced him with Wandy Peralta.  A move that the usually quiet Mahle was vocal about.

"It is getting ridiculous at this point," Mahle said.  "It's not a good first half by any means in my opinion but I think, I've gotten yanked out of some games when I'm have a good game or a decent game and haven't had the chance to battle through a game.  I haven't had a chance to battle through six innings. Like tonight, especially after last game when I get pulled with 77 pitches.  This game I knew I had 90 something but in my opinion, I deserved a chance to get out of the fifth or get through five or at least see where that next batter is.  I get a pop up and I'm one ground ball away and I get taken out of the game.  I just got to keep going."

Bell's perspective was the following:

"There were two hitters in a row where he threw almost 20 pitches," David Bell said.   In the third Mazara struck out on 10 pitches.  Cabrera grounded out on 11 pitches.  "In the end, he held them to two runs, in his work.  The pitch count got up too high to let him continue."

In his last game at Philadelphia, Mahle had 73 pitches through five innings.  He has allowed three runs, two earned at that point.  He gave up an inning opening hit to J.T. Realmuto and Jay Bruce hit a home run.  The third run of the inning scored on a throwing error by Tucker Barnhart.  The Reds lost the game 4-2.  His longest outing this season is 6-1/3 innings.  Mahle has pitched at least six innings in six of his 12 starts.  Tonight was his shortest outing of the season.

Other starters have been critical of Bell's "Captain Hook" routine.

Tanner Roark expressed his disdain for being removed in the middle innings for a pinch hitter.  By contrast, Bell has allowed Luis Castillo to work out of jams as he did in Cleveland on Tuesday.

Statistically, it is difficult to argue with Bell's results handling the pitching staff.

The Reds are second in the National League to the Los Angeles Dodgers in team ERA of 3.63.  The starters rank second with 3.66 and relievers are tops in the NL with a 3.58 ERA.

The Reds sub .500 record is more a product of an anemic offense.  The pitching has improved drastically from the last four seasons.

"There is such a high level of intensity," Bell said.  "Sometimes you emotions, you are caught at a moment of high stress.  I want them to be competitive.  I don't want them to come out of games.  It also creates opportunity to have conversations.  We've already done that and we're going to have some more later today.  All in all, I see it as a positive.  It takes every thing you have to be good at this game.  It doesn't surprise me."

"We had a brief conversation.  I expect these things to happen from what it takes to play this game," Bell said.  "I don't want to change Tyler.  He's competitive.  He's tough.  He's a big part of our staff.  I will do my part to talk through things and listen.  For that I'm grateful that it happened to have that opportunity."







No comments:

Post a Comment