About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Travis Steele Wins First Game As Xavier's Head Coach Over IUPUI





Ryan Welage became an instant fan favorite on Victory Parkway and Travis Steele won his first game as head coach.

The Graduate transfer went on a personal nine-point scoring binge to help the Xavier Musketeers recover for a 82-69 win over the Jaguars of Indiana University Purdue University of Indianapolis in the season opener for both squads.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Xavier Musketeers scored the first 10 points of the game but was clinging to a 37-34 lead at the half against the Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis Jaguars.

The Jaguars tied the game with a 3-point shot by Jalen Minnett tied the game right out of the halftime break.

http://donatelifeohio.org/
Welage's mid second half spree turned a 47-46 lead into a 57-50 lead with12:08 left in the game.  He scored 24 points by sinking six of 13 3-pointers to lead the Musketeers.  Tyrique Jones added 17 points in the paint.  Naji Marshall chipped in with 13 points.

When Welage got hot he created a fan club from among his teammates too.

"I was on sideline cheering," Jones said. "Coach drew up a couple good hitters for him to get him shots and he made them. That's what he does in practice every day."

"That was an unbelievable feeling, really," Welage said. "To play my first real game at Cintas with my teammates.  My teammates got me great looks. Once I hit one or two, they started looking for me, and coach drew up a play or two that got me good looks."

Xavier held IUPUI without a field goal for over five minutes down the stretch.

Minnett has 21 points for the Jaguars. Jack Hansen had 10.

The Musketeers had to play without Quentin Goodin, who is injured.   Paul Scruggs was missing in the second half when IUPUI completed their run.

"Both of the Grad transfers have been a tremendous additions to our team.  Ryan is a really good shooter.  I think he can do more for us," Steele said.  "Without Q right now they will have to do more."

The Jaguars competed until Welage took over.

"He had good looks in the first half but they weren't falling," Steele said.  "I told him to keep shooting they would fall.  Tyrique (Jones) made some effort plays."

The Jaguars made the effort plays in stretches but not enough to convert those plays into a win.

"They (Xavier) do a great job moving the ball," IUPUI coach Jason Gardner said.  "There was that one stint where we couldn't get the rebound.  They did a good job of crashing the glass."

That was the segment of the game that Jones played with greater intensity.

"I thought our guys competed and fought all the way to the end.  I thought we did some good things by moving the ball and defending." Gardner said.  "We just came up short.  We have to do a better job on our turnovers.  We had some silly turnovers.  We have to get better on the glass."

Steele told the Musketeers to get used to the challenge.

"I told my guys it is going to be hard all year," Steele said.  "We need effort every night."












No comments:

Post a Comment