About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Joey Votto To DL, Tucker Barnhart To First Base, Aristedes Aquino Promoted From Double A





When Joey Votto was hit by Ryan Madson or Washington on August 4, the Reds gave him a couple days off.   Lately it has become clear that Votto has not been effective because of the injury.

After limping on the bases and in the field the Reds, who are going nowhere this season decided to shut Votto down for at least 10 days.

"After the game the other night (Wednesday), Steve Bauman our trainer and Joey both came in and told me they were fighting an up hill battle.  It wasn't getting better," Jim Riggleman said.  "We said we had to shut it down.  It looked ok early in the game but the more he was standing around it didn't look comfortable."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds dipped to the Double A level to promoted Aristedes Aquino, a 23-year old outfielder from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.  Aquino signed in 2011 as a 16-year old was hitting .249 with the Pensacola Blue Wahoos and just set the franchise record for home runs with 18.  His first appearance for the Reds will be his first above Double A.

"I am thankful for the opportunity," Aquino said through interpreter Julio Murillo. "I've worked for more consistency to have more quality at bats.  I was surprised to get the news.  They pulled me out of the game last night.  I thought, 'they pulled me out of the games against a team I hit the best, (Jacksonville). I told my family. They are very happy."

As for first base, Tucker Barnhart makes his first career start at a position he has never, ever played, except for three innings in blow out games this year..

http://donatelifeohio.org/
"I have asked any body and every body what to do at first base," Barnhart said.  "I am going to approach it like a catcher and knock it down whenever I can.  Hopefully, I don't trip and fall trying to cover first base."

The Reds wouldn't even contemplate this move if they were in a pennant race.

"Really Tucker is a ball player. I could probably put Scooter (Gennett) there.  He's probably never played it but I know he could do it.  We've had Tucker take ground balls there," Riggleman said.  "We wanted to prepare to do that in the first place.  I like to get left-handed hitters in the lineup that's why Tucker's in there.  It may not go well.  I don't know.  I've talked about giving Tucker a break from his knees and put him at first base. Unfortunately, where we are in the standings, this is when you can experiment with things like this.  You wouldn't want to do this when you're two games out and you lose a game because a ball goes through his legs.  I couldn't sleep at night."

Barnhart just wants to be out on the field.

"I would and anybody in the clubhouse would," Barnhart said.  "It is coming to fruition today.  I was really nervous when Jim sent me a text.  It was actually about 10:30 in the morning, telling me that I was going to be at first base.  I asked him if he was drinking already on an off day. He said yes as a matter of fact and followed it up by saying, 'I'm serious."

"My son rolled me ground balls this morning.  That got me ready," Barnhart joked.

Brandon Dixon has become Dick's Sporting Goods and lent Barnhart his glove.

"He has the key to the community first baseman's glove," Barnhart said.  "Casali used it. I'm going to use it. Dilson (Herrera) used it in New York.  I didn't have time to break in a first base glove.

Barnhart worked for a half hour with Freddie Benevides before the game.




No comments:

Post a Comment