About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, August 13, 2018

Cody Reed Joins Mates From The House Of The Rising Guns Reds Take A Longer Look At Lefty




Cody Reed had to feel left out last week when the Reds' chose to promote Robert Stephenson to the big club last week

Sal Romano and Amir Garrett have been in Cincinnati all year but Stephenson and Reed were toiling in the Louisville Bats starting rotation.  Along with Stephenson the quartet were roommates the last two years in Goodyear, Arizona in a bachelor's pad affectionately called "The House of the Rising Guns."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Reed was up earlier this year but was not used and sent back down.  After Keury Mella, who was brought up last week to shore up an over used bullpen, was ambushed for three home runs in the ninth inning on Sunday, the Reds called Reed.

"I was parking my car ready to get on the bus for the road trip," Reed said. "They told me to make sure I didn't get on the bus.  I'm pleased to be here with all my buddies on the team and take advantage of the opportunity."

The last time they told him that he was going down the next day.

"I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever come back to stay,"  Reed said.

Reed has worked on getting ahead of hitters in the count.  It was an aspect the Reds' have harped on since Reed was acquired in the trade for Johnny Cueto at the trading deadline of 2015.

http://donatelifeohio.org/
His arm has been tantalizing but he has yet to put his game together in order to be a consistent winner in the Major Leagues.

"My fastball command has been better and throwing all my stuff for strikes, making batters put the ball in play by the fourth pitch has allowed me to get through a lineup three or four times," Reed said. "My slider is my out pitch.  I've been able to throw it for strikes.  I have tried to mix it up the second or third time.  Going deep in games have helped my confidence."


Over the last 44 games of the season the Reds want to see if Reed can be part of their future.

"Cody gives us length, a solid left-handed pitcher.  He's done a nice job especially as of late.  He's a guy we have to continue to get more information," Jim Riggleman said.  "We feel he can be a significant part of this ballclub in the future.  He's young but it's not like he's 21.  It is time for him to come in here a solidify a spot on this ball club."

The Reds already have an over crowded starting rotation of six pitchers.  One more would stretch credibility.

"He's going to be in the bullpen," Riggleman said. " He was starting down there.  He could always go back to start.

Billy Hamilton is getting a rest.

"Billy is getting the day off.  I was going to give him a day off yesterday but he had some success against Godley so I played him Sunday and gave him Monday off. He's pretty worn down.   He's played a lot of baseball. The same with Peraza. I have to get him a day off."


No comments:

Post a Comment