About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Reds Scratch Out A Win Over Phillies




The Reds didn't hit the ball out of the ballpark but used three bunts to scratch out a 6-2 win over the National League Eastern Division leaders, the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Reds got the first marker of the game off Vince Velasquez in the second inning.

Mason Williams in his second straight start singled.  Tucker Barnhart his a long double to right center.  Williams scored from first base.  The Reds squandered a chance to add to the lead.   Adam Duvall singled to left.  Barnhart held at third.  Matt Harvey popped up a bunt.  Billy Hamilton hit a ground ball to Cesar Hernandez at second base.  Hernandez cut down Barnhart at the plate. Jose Peraza grounded out.

Harvey retired the first nine Philadelphia batters in order, striking out four of them.  He issued a walk to Hernandez, leading of the fourth.  Rhys Hoskins' 21st home run was the first Phillie hit that put the visitors up 2-1.

"I was trying to go down and away on Hoskins," Harvey said.  "I felt myself fly open a little bit. As soon as I let it go, I knew it was a pitch I wanted back.  I only hope he popped it up."


http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds tied the game in the bottom of the inning.  Duvall walked with one out.  This time Harvey got the bunt down and Duvall moved to second.  Hamilton singled over Hernandez to score Duvall.

The Reds left the bases loaded in the fifth inning.  Joey Votto singled and Eugenio Suarez, looking for a homer for the sixth straight game, walked after being behind 0-2.  Mason Williams bunted the runners up a base.  Barnhart walked but Velasquez struck out Duvall and pinch hitter Dilson Herrera to leave the Reds with nine stranded runners through five innings.

Harvey pitched five innings, giving up two runs on two hits and two walks.  He struck out five.

There is speculation the Reds are going to trade Harvey by the trading deadline of July 31.

"I'm not talking about trades. I'm here now and I enjoy being here," Harvey said.

His teammates want him to stay here.

"He only made one bad pitch," Barnhart said.  "His velocity was up and it made every thing sharper. I hope it's not the last time I catch him."

"I love throwing to Tucker and being around these guys but it is out of my control," Harvey said.

Wandy Peralta pitched a perfect sixth in his first inning back from Louisville.

Tommy Hunter took over for Velasquez in the sixth inning.

Hamilton doubled off the glove of Maikel Franco at third.  Peraza bunted Hamilton to third.  Velasquez hit Gennett with a pitch.  Votto's low line drive went off the glove of Hernandez for a run scoring single with Gennett moving to third.  Suarez forced Votto at second but Gennett scored.  It was Suarez 80th RBI of the year which leads the National League.

Peralta got the first out of the seventh but Nick Williams singled to center.  Jim Riggleman brought in starter, Sal Romano to face Franco.  Suarez turned a slow roller into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

"It was Romano's day to throw on the side anyway.  All the guys are chipping in<" Jim Riggleman said.


The Reds turned in another inning ending double play in the eighth.  Amir Garrett struck out Scott Kingery but hit Andrew Knapp the number nine hitter.  Cesar Hernandez laid down a bunt single.  Riggleman went to right-handed Jared Hughes to pitch to Hoskins, who had the damaging blow in the fourth inning.  Peraza picked up a low line drive on a short hop and started the easy double play.

Peraza hit his second double of the game off Austin Davis to lead off the eighth.  Gennett followed with a run scoring double.  Votto's third straight single scored Gennett and gave Suarez one more chance to extend his home run streak.  Suarez hit into a 6-4-3 double play to end it.

Hughes finished the game to earn his seventh save.

The win allowed the Reds a chance to finish a 10-game home stand at 5-5 after getting swept by the Pittsburgh Pirates in three straight games.







Matt Harvey


"It was really coming out of my hand better early on.  When the velocity went down, I was able to execute pitches.  The turning point was getting out of the inning with the leadoff double."

"I was trying to go down and away on Hoskins.  I felt myself fly open a little bit. As soon as I let it go, I knew it was a pitch I wanted back.  I only hope he popped it up."

Tucker Barnhart








No comments:

Post a Comment