About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Homer Bailey Will Return To Reds Rotation Sal Romano A Bullpen Temp




The Reds did not make any moves over the All-Star break but they get a new pitcher on Tuesday when Homer Bailey comes off an extensive rehab assignment.

Manager Jim Riggleman announced that Bailey, who struggled with a 1-7 record and 6.68 ERA in 12 starts, returns with his aching right knee healthy.

Bailey pitched for the Louisville Bats on Monday.  Bailey pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing four hits and three walks.  He struck out three.   The win gave him a 2-2 record in rehab starts with a 4.78 ERA.

"The first couple days we're going to use Sal (Romano) out of the bullpen," Riggleman said.   "Depending how much he's in those games will determine whether he pitches on the sixth day (against St. Louis on Wednesday). Castillo will pitch the fourth game."

The reports on Homer was positive in addition to the numbers.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"He was getting more strikeouts," Riggleman said.  "That was one thing he wasn't doing.  Maybe he has refined his put-away pitch to get more strikeouts."

Romano is going to the bullpen at first but it is not based on performance or just being the odd man out.

"Sal is the most usable guy in the bullpen," said Riggleman of the big right-hander who pitched an inning of relief on Sunday before the break.  "We can use him in the bullpen for a couple days and make a decision on that sixth day.  The other guys we were reluctant to do that with.  It is that more than anything.  He was throwing the ball well.  We are anxious to get him out there starting but we do have available these first two."

The Reds placed Scott Schebler on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to Sunday.  Schebler jammed his shoulder chasing a fly ball on Saturday in St. Louis.  He didn't play on Sunday so the Reds could give him five more days to get ready.

Taking his place on the roster is Phil Ervin, who was hitting .384 with five home runs and 29 RBI in his last 23 games at Louisville.

Schebler doesn't expect to be out any more than the 10 days.
http://donatelifeohio.org/
"I took swings today and threw today. It's all good there," Schebler said.  "There is a little tightness do to throwing but I'm expected to be back with the full 10 days.  I'd like to go out on a rehab on Monday to get some swings in against live pitching."

The injury happened when Schebler ran into the wall at New Busch Stadium in St. Louis.  Schebler picked up the ball and flipped it to centerfielder Billy Hamilton to return to the infield.

"Everybody thought it was my neck," Schebler said.  "My neck or my head, neither of which touched the wall.  That's really weird.  It must be something about the way I fall.  I'm very ungraceful.  They were worried about my head when they came out there. They were checking my neck"

"I honestly don't remember getting the ball to Billy," Schebler said.  "That's just instincts, really.  I've been around the game long enough.  It is probably the first cutoff man I've hit in awhile.  I'm pretty proud of that.  I've been struggling with that.  At least I got that down.  It happened to be my center fielder.  Me saying that I didn't remember it didn't help my cause for not hitting my head.  Steve O (trainer Steve Baumann) said are you sure you didn't hit your head because you don't remember that.  Honestly I just remember the pain in my shoulder.  It was a funky play for sure."








No comments:

Post a Comment