About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Corey Dickerson Powers Pirates To Win




The hot Pittsburgh Pirates used the power of its leadoff hitter to carry his team to its eighth straight win while sending the Reds to a three-game losing streak with a 6-4 win.

The Pirates swept the Milwaukee Brewers in five games leading up to the All-Star break.  By beating the Reds in two straight, they put together their longest streak since 2015, while the Reds suffered three losses in a row for the first time since June 2 -6 when they lost four in a row.

"That's baseball.  They've pitched pretty good," Jim Riggleman said.  "Pittsburgh was hot before the break. They're playing good baseball.  We're playing fine.  We just haven't kicked it in with the bats yet.  I think we will the effort is there."

Corey Dickerson hit his daily home run in the third inning to start the scoring off Anthony DeSclafani.   It was Dickerson's ninth of the season and the third day in a row.

The Pirates added a run in the fourth.  Greg Polanco doubled and took third on a ground out. Colin Moran walked and Josh Bell delivered Polanco with a double with one out.  DeSclafani escaped without further scoring.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
A 45 minute rain delay followed.

The Reds had two hits off Pirate's starter Nick Kingham in the first four turns at bat.  Jose Peraza had a two-out double in the third.  Jesse Winker extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a two-out single in the fourth.

http://donatelifeohio.org/
DeSclafani emerged after the rain delay and this time Dickerson didn't wait a day.  He drilled his second home run of the game past the Reds' bullpen in right.  His 10th home run of the season gave Pittsburgh a 3-0 lead.

"Anthony's velocity looked good and his stuff was crisp.  We just have to figure out a way to get their left-hand hitters out," Riggleman said.  "Whether we play them in this park or theirs, they've really done damage to us."


After DeSclafani struck out Starling Marte, who extended his own hitting streak to 14 games, with a single in the first inning.

"I felt okay coming back after the delay.  I told them I was good to go but he told me that I had a short least because I sat for an hour," DeSclafani said. "Physically, I'm 100 percent.  There's not a doubt in my mind.  I feel good. I'm recovering good.  I am going to do the same thing I do between starts and get better every day."

DeSclafani took a line drive off his left foot off Dickerson, the first batter of the game.

"Dickerson smoked that ball in the first inning.  It hit me on the top of the foot just below the ankle.  The x-rays were negative.  I just have a contusion.  It will feel better in a couple days," DeSclafani said.

DeSclafani lost his second straight start to fall to 4-3 on the year.

"The home runs have hurt me," DeSclafani said.  "Those solo home runs have been chipping away at me.  I have to keep them off balance and keep the ball off the barrel."

Michael Lorenzen took over in the sixth.  Bell reached base with his third hit.  One out later Jordy Mercer doubled down the left field line, sending Bell to third.   Kingham dribbled a seven bouncer past a drawn in infield to extend the Pirate's lead to 5-0.

The Reds got to Kingham in the seventh.  Winker singled for his second hit. Curt Casali hit a fence scraping home run one row into the left field seats.

Bell opened the eight against Jared Hughes with his fourth hit.  Sean Rodriguez laid down a bunt single.  Mercer tried to copy Rodriguez but Suarez fielded the bunt and retired Mercer at first.  He was credited with a sacrifice.  The Reds cut the run down at the plate.  Gennett turned pinch hitter David Freese ground out into a 4-2 play that retired Bell at home.  Hughes wild pitch, however, allowed Rodriguez to score.















No comments:

Post a Comment